CSI and the SWG

BCSB

Gold Supporter
Mar 26, 2023
Wisconsin
I've asked this before but wasn't clear with my question so the thread went a different direction. I'll try to simplify the question.
What would be the best way to get my CSI closer to 0. The math app tells me I'm around -.58 to -.59. I'm looking at the recommended numbers for my RJ-60.

TC 6.5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 120
CYA 75
Salt 3700
Temp 86

I change then numbers around in pool math, then adjust to what gives me good csi.

Start with changing your cya value to 80, which is what it is.

What would be the best way to get my CSI closer to 0. The math app tells me I'm around -.58 to -.59. I'm looking at the recommended numbers for my RJ-60.
If you have the Pool Math app, go to HOME. That shows your latest test results. Press on CSI and then change any variable and see the effects it has on CSI.

I did play with the pool math numbers and the CH seems to be the one I would change. I’ll bump that up a little and see what happens. What are the effects of a low csi on the cell?
Slightly negative CSI is best with a SWCG.
I have seen some members be obsessed to have a ZERO CSI. To me that is an effort in futility. The moment you add acid or some other chemical the CSI is changing. It also changes with temperature so cool nights and warm days will change the CSI constantly. You can see that by changing any one of the variables on the CSI button.
This is why there is a range for CSI.

I look at CSI and stay in the +/- range but I tend to look at TA and pH more to ensure those are always in the target range in addition to my FC.

@BCSB

If you let your pH ride a little higher, your CSI will improve. Let your pH rise to 7.9 and then only add enough acid to bring it down to 7.6. If your pH doesn’t change much from its present value, then you can add a little more bicarbonate (baking soda) to get your TA up to 120ppm which is the top of the suggested range. Raising calcium hardness with calcium chloride to 200ppm is also an option if you can source calcium chloride easily.

You SWG will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@BCSB

If you let your pH ride a little higher, your CSI will improve. Let your pH rise to 7.9 and then only add enough acid to bring it down to 7.6. If your pH doesn’t change much from its present value, then you can add a little more bicarbonate (baking soda) to get your TA up to 120ppm which is the top of the suggested range. Raising calcium hardness with calcium chloride to 200ppm is also an option if you can source calcium chloride easily.

You SWG will be fine.

I just ran the numbers in PoolMath. If you raised your CH to 200, which is still below the TFP recommended levels, your CSI will improve a lot even without any changes to pH or TA. I suppose where you live there’s lots of precipitation to fill a pool with so you’ll have to decide if it’s worth it to you to keep an eye on CH or just let the pool water be where it is. Sometimes sourcing good quality calcium chlorine can be a pain or expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.