Create a delayed turn ON for my heater - Intellitouch

ewsb

May 26, 2007
Northern VA
Pool Size
This is the opposite of what everyone else normally asks about how to turn off the delay. I want to create a delay (the same as the pool cleaner delay) before the heater turns on in the intellitouch/screenlogic software.

After 2 years of monitoring the heater behavior (Mastertemp 400) as we keep the pool open all year (in Washington DC), we seem to have found an odd scenario when the Intelliflo pump seems to cycle and do its priming during the night. While the pump is priming, the heater continues trying to run and then experiences a water flow issue (the flow varies and is lower during the pump priming cycle) and goes into Service Heater error mode and stops heating.

The obvious solution would be to make the heater only turn on after the pump has been running for 5 mins. I am concerned to config the heater as a "Master Cleaner" which if I understand from the Screenlogic manual gives you a delay as it also then controls other things? I could also increase the flow during the priming, however, priming by its nature, does not appear to be an "all or nothing" and so the pressure does vary for a few minutes as this happens.

All comments and solutions are appreciated. Thanks

Sean,

I agree with JamesW. I assume you want the pump to run 24/7.

My pumps never shut off, why does yours?

What happens in the middle of the night at the same time your pump shuts off??

Thanks,

Jim R.

And why are you running your gas heater adding BTUs to the water at 2AM?

Your gas heater should be able to heat your pool to the desired temperature closer to swim time.

Keeping the water at a constant temperature 24/7 with a gas heater is a waste of energy.

Sean,

I agree with JamesW. I assume you want the pump to run 24/7.

My pumps never shut off, why does yours?

What happens in the middle of the night at the same time your pump shuts off??

Thanks,

Jim R.
The schedule was set with input from Pentair technical support 3 or 4 years ago so as to make it most energy efficient. As it is small 17000, running it 24 hours meant it ran at a trickle (the lowest speed the intelliflo could do)

And why are you running your gas heater adding BTUs to the water at 2AM?

Your gas heater should be able to heat your pool to the desired temperature closer to swim time.

Keeping the water at a constant temperature 24/7 with a gas heater is a waste of energy.
It is set to maintain 60 but then set to 80 at 3am to allow it go get to 80 by 8am for my wife to swim. She swims 2 to 3 miles a day. The pool heats up at roughly 2 degrees an hour.

The schedule was set with input from Pentair technical support 3 or 4 years ago so as to make it most energy efficient. As it is small 17000, running it 24 hours meant it ran at a trickle (the lowest speed the intelliflo could do)
Run it at about 1,500 rpm and it won't use much power.

What is the flow and the power usage at 1,500 rpm?

Sean,

I think you have a scheduling issue. I bet it shuts down and primes at 3 am.

Do you have ScreenLogic? This is a system that allows you to use your PC or phone to control your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. how do you get the pump to pump 24hrs on the screenlogic?
2. Of you have two schedules on the screenlogic, which one takes precedent or does it just run them in order

Many thanks for all the quick input and responses.

Sean,

You have two schedules for your Pool circuit

Pool from 8 am until 8 am at 60 degrees Runs the pump 24/7 at the "Pool" speed that you have set up on the speed set up page. Say 1500 or 1600
Pool from 3 am until 9 am at 80 degrees. Or whatever time & temp that works for you. The only thing that happens is that the heater will heat to 80 degrees.

I'll show some screenshots tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sean,

This is how I use the EasyTouch to control my standalone spa, but the same setup should work for your Pool mode. You can see the difference in the lower right where you enter the temp you want.

Spa heater set up1.png

Thanks,

Jim R.

Spa heater set up2.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.