Cracks on New Plaster

Jun 30, 2015
Washington/DC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool has been under construction. Following plaster completion as fill started I noticed what looked like potential cracks. Was assured not an issue and any discoloration, appearance of imperfections would go away over a period of a few months. Today, service guys were out and mentioned something so raised to the project manager again. Response was "hairline cracks are normal," which seemed like an odd response to me. Attaching picture and would appreciate any thoughts for those that have experience in this arena. Plaster is Diamond Brite Watercolor series.

Attachments

• Cracks.jpg
    Cracks.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 39
Spider cracks are normal shrinkage cracks. They don't always happen and they are on the surface and don't go all the way through the plaster. As long as the pool does not lose water it is fine.

Hairline cracks in the plaster are not normal and won't go away in a few months. They rushed the plaster job and didn't keep it moist while they were filling the pool. Not much you can do about it now if the pool doesn't lose water.

I hate it when pool builders say "Don't worry, it's normal, it'll go away in a few months" (after they're long gone)!