Crackling air multiport valve

phess1

Mar 25, 2016
Altoona, PA
Very frustrating. All new PVC plumbing, new multiport valve and the crackling noise remains. No bubbles in basket or out of the returns. Have bled air from sand filter numerous times. Have dialed back valves for two skimmers and bottom drain. It won't go away. Pool company says it's normal. Can't be. 1hp pump. Pressure around 13 which is normal. Backwash doesnt help. Noise happens on recirculation. All gaskets and adapters on pump are new and sealed. It's very annoying because all equip is very close to pool. Ive run out of ideas and appreciate any help. I've searched over and over.

Mine does this too. I made a video clip of it. Best I can figure is that the plumbing diameter is either too large or too small (can't remember). I have noticed that the noise stops if I let my filter pressure go up about 20%. It will be almost non-existent when it's time to backwash. After backwash, back to the noise. Since the noise dissipates when the pressure is greater, it must mean the pipe diameter is too large for the flow of the pump. The fix would require re-plumbing or perhaps a variable speed pump so you can slow down the flow a bit.

Pool valve noise - YouTube

Thanks for the replies. The sound is the video is exactly the same as what Im experiencing. Yes as pressure gets above 15 the noise starts to go away. When it hits 20, no noise. Also if I close skimmer valves and bottom drain valve about 3/4 it will quiet down but then that is hard on the pump. I just did all new plumbing with majority 1 1/2in other than salt cell and out of heater. No valves to close returns.

I thought I almost had it figured out. I swapped a lid from an old pump and made sure the new gasket was seated well. Noise is definitely less, but still there. Going to really lube it and try again. Also seeing if I can track down another pump from a friend and do a complete swap. If I get it figured I will definitely post the solution since I havent seen anyone else give a definite besides another person saying they tightened the lid up.

Here is the latest. Pump lid ended up not helping with the noise.

So friday evening the noise was pretty quiet, water level was low and below second screw on skimmer door. I added some water up to the screw, still mostly quiet. I vacuumed and backwashed saturday and the noise was bad again as expected. Sunday it rained all day and the water level is perfect above second screw and the noise is gone. Pressure is up from 12 to 15. I have no idea why this happens. If I was to go backwash right now pressure would go down and noise would be back. When the pressure goes up the noise goes away, that is a guarantee.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.