Cracked PVC from ground freeze

detlion1643

May 14, 2020
Erie, PA
So, as it was around 60ish yesterday, I went around to check the plumbing and put the unions back together and started filling the pool a bit. Not long into this, I noticed standing water and cracked pvc. Now, I am in northwest PA where our ground freeze line is 4ft. I cannot bury pvc that low. This pvc ranges from a few inches (at pool) to about 1 foot down (near equipment pad). The cracked section is on the skimmer line, but I can assume the return line is cracked too because of the standing water. Filling it didn't get above the return.

Before winter, I blew the lines out, so no water was in them. I have unions on the skimmer and return by the pool, and unions before the pump, in between the pump/filter, and after the filter. All were disconnected. Our freezes get bad up here, so I can believe they cracked just by ground movement. At this point, I am curious if leaving pvc above the ground is worthwhile compared to just running flex stuff? The flex stuff can be removed entirely and stored in the garage but I originally used pvc as I've come to known it should be better.

What are peoples opinions? I have about 20ft from pool to equipment pad.

Apparently the photos are too big, forgot to turn HDR off on the phone (sorry):

So, as it was around 60ish yesterday, I went around to check the plumbing and put the unions back together and started filling the pool a bit. Not long into this, I noticed standing water and cracked pvc. Now, I am in northwest PA where our ground freeze line is 4ft. I cannot bury pvc that low. This pvc ranges from a few inches (at pool) to about 1 foot down (near equipment pad). The cracked section is on the skimmer line, but I can assume the return line is cracked too because of the standing water. Filling it didn't get above the return.

Before winter, I blew the lines out, so no water was in them. I have unions on the skimmer and return by the pool, and unions before the pump, in between the pump/filter, and after the filter. All were disconnected. Our freezes get bad up here, so I can believe they cracked just by ground movement. At this point, I am curious if leaving pvc above the ground is worthwhile compared to just running flex stuff? The flex stuff can be removed entirely and stored in the garage but I originally used pvc as I've come to known it should be better.

What are peoples opinions? I have about 20ft from pool to equipment pad.

Apparently the photos are too big, forgot to turn HDR off on the phone (sorry):
I’d normally say the pipe must have got water in it to break, but I’m not so sure anymore since my filter appears to have done something similar even though I drained it. Search around for flex hose around here and you’ll find it’s not well liked. I’d definitely try and bury it deeper as that’s close enough for foot traffic and lawnmowers to do damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.