Cracked pump fitting and too short pipe?

Sfii

Aug 1, 2023
Frederick, Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Second year with our pool! We opened it ourselves and it’s running smoothly, except for the tiny air bubbles from jets that weren’t there last year. We have a leak!

1. It looks like the straight pipe before the pump is too short. The placement of the return, skimmer, and drain pipes makes it complicated to extend the pipe right before the pump. I’m assuming this will wear out the pump faster, could that be impacting the plumbing also to cause leaks? How big of a deal is it?

2. I noticed a hairline crack on the pump inlet pipe fitting. No drips though, but could it still be the source of the leak?

2a. I ordered a replacement fitting but could not unscrew the one in place. Do I need to cut the pipe or should I be able to just unscrew and replace the existing fitting?

3. I also noticed a few drops from the 3-way valve. Does that mean that is the issue and not the cracked fitting?

Thanks in advance! Pool and plumbing newbie here. I watched a few videos but couldn’t find guidance on how exactly to take out the old fitting / pump.

Attachments

• IMG_6025.jpeg
    IMG_6025.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6027.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg
    816.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 10
2. I noticed a hairline crack on the pump inlet pipe fitting. No drips though, but could it still be the source of the leak?
Sounds like you have a suctions side leak.. Now to locate it.

Turn on the hose half pressure and hose water over the crack for several minutes and see if the bubbles cease. Are there bubbles in the top of the pump basket? You can also wrap the crack with Saran Wrap and see if that stops the bubbles.
2a. I ordered a replacement fitting but could not unscrew the one in place. Do I need to cut the pipe or should I be able to just unscrew and replace the existing fitting?
Not familiar with that adapter piece but I’m sure someone else here is though
3. I also noticed a few drops from the 3-way valve. Does that mean that is the issue and not the cracked fitting?
Take the valve apart via screws and either replace o-ring inside or clean and place magic lube on existing o-ring if it looks okay. This is most likely your culprit vs the hairline crack at pump inlet.

Reactions: Sfii