cracked Poolmiser autofill sump - options?

ramblinwreck001

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This weekend I discovered a pool leak which is a crack in the water inlet at the bottom of my Poolmiser autofill sump (see photo). I had noticed a few weeks back that the fill valve was not perfectly vertical, but rather leaning back at an angle. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I think that's related to the crack -- it's cracked exactly where you expect it based on the way it was tilted. Either it wasn't installed correctly (inlet pipe was under stress where it was installed), or soil or the wood deck it's mounted through has moved.

Obviously this really bummed me out and I know the fix isn't going to be cheap. For now I'm trying to evaluate what options I have going forward. Would really appreciate any input from the folks here. Here are the options I could come up with.

1. Have existing device replaced with similar equipment (Poolmiser or similar style auto-fill). Fortunately, the sump is mounted through a wood deck just off the side of the pool deck, so I think it can be accessed by removing a couple of deck boards and digging without having to bust up the pool deck.

2. Plug the auto-fill's equalizer port inside the pool and forget about it. I lose auto-fill and I lose my overflow (since my only overflow is in the autofill sump).

3. Plug the cracked water inlet in the auto-fill sump (not sure if this is possible in a reliable manner, or if so, how), but keep the sump and equalizer port operational. I lose auto-fill, but retain my overflow this way. [NOTE: For the time being, this is what I have done, using parts from the previously installed fill valve. For now it is holding, but I don't intend for this to be a permanent fix.]

4. Some combination of #2 or #3 but upgrade to a more modern auto-fill system (if such a thing exists). For example, I've seen things like the Kona Labs water leveler, which seems to add water to the system at the equipment pad rather than through a port in the pool like I have now. I know nothing about these devices or whether they're a good option or not. I like this option if it means I don't have to pull up my wood deck and dig out the old autofill sump.

Other (better) options I haven't considered .... please let me know what you recommend!

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_6382.jpg
    IMG_6382.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 14
I would try to put plumber’s putty in the crack. Ensure it does not get into the threads where the float screws into.
My only concern with that suggestion is what caused the crack. If it was installation, then it may work but if there is shifting ground then it may be only temporary.
IMG_7746.jpeg

Thanks. Yeah, I think putty would work to seal the crack, but probably only if there's no water pressure on it (option #3 above). I don't expect that putty would hold up to 65psi water pressure if I try to use the fill valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.