Cracked pool concrete pool

M

mellenw

My 15K gallon pool began to loose water (4" practically overnight). I discovered twin cracks running down pool wall from skimmer to pool (shallow end) floor. the cracks join up and continue as hairline crack across bottom for about 5'. The maximum width of crack is abouth the thickness of a dime.

The pool was built in the 1960's. It is simple concrete kidney shaped pool with single skimmer and two supply jets and bottom drain. Pool has never cracked in the seven years I have owned it. It is painted with epoxy and I repainted it last spring. I live is Dallas and drought is likely a factor. The soil is not as expansive as it is in other areas around Dallas.

Any suggestions for crack repair?

Mellen in Dallas

I gotcha'. Seems like about the only idea I can think of is to take an angle grinder and grind a small groove about 1/2 deep the entire length of the crack and then fill with polyurethane caulk.

Of course, you will need to drain the pool when you do this.

The caulk may get a couple of years (maybe more) before the shell moves again and unseals the crack.

Most people want to use epoxy but it doesn't have quite the flex that poly caulk has.

FYI, the concrete may not be cracked. It may just be the plaster. Old plaster gets hollow spots between the concrete and plaster. Here's what mine looked like after the hollow spots were removed.

Unless you have taken INCREDIBLE care of your pool, 7 years is getting pretty old for plaster (IN MOST CASES).

9_zps611b4f08.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.