Cracked Gunite Under Tiles Near Skimmer

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008

I have some cracking underneath my tiles near the skimmer area when I opened my gunite 22,000 gallon inground pool. What should I use to patch this area up? Do I have to use something before I apply the thin mortar and grout to re-tile the area? Thank you.

Drain the water below the damaged area.

Break out any loose materials.
Fill with Sand Mix concrete and use an admix or modifier to help with the bonding of the old to new concrete.
Let cure for 7-10 days.
Re install tile with thin set.
Give it a few days to dry and refill.

Not sure if you can run your pump just off the main drain. IF so that would be best.
If not you can try to keep clean with robot and bleach.

Or others may have better ideas. I just know old school repairs.. but done right.

If the cracking is not that deep you can just remove the damaged areas and fill with a high quality thin set like Laticreate for water. Let dry then reset tiles on top with more
thin set.. then grout. You will still need to drain the water below the damaged area.

I live in Enfield, Connecticut. I'm not sure how deep the cracks go. It's hard to tell. I inherited this pool with the house. The paperwork I found indicates it's from the mid 80's.

If your in CT like me... its just freeze thaw from water getting behind the tile. Not a big deal.

Its hard for me to tell by the pics how deep the cracks are but I would go with the concrete patch and fix it right.

PM me your address and I can mail you a small bag of Laticrete for the fix. If the cracks are only 1-2 inches deep you can do the repair all with the Laticrete.
Would just do two steps or layers allowing the first patch to fill the area and dry and then set the tiles on top. If the patch is more than 3" the Laticrete will not
set quick enough. Laticrete is a high quality underwater tested and proven thin set. Its even made in CT.

B

Thank you for the very kind offer. I just sent you a PM. I'm unfortunately in a time crunch as I have a handyman coming Monday to do the actual patching and tile work. I have no experience doing such work and don't want to make mistakes.
I have a 3 lb tub of E-Z Patch 1FS. Is that comparable to Laticrete? If not, anything at Home Depot close to that quality? Thank you again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
21092532ad04a104f7636e7b7fcad762.jpg

Here 1 of many.. same damage in throat but covered by loose plaster & blinding diamond water..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.