Crack in PVC Elbow Partially in Gunite - Suggestions for Repair?

I'd never chiseled concrete before, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. I'm using a 10" cold chisel and just chiseling by hand.

Dave S. - you're right, the trick will be how high I need to go just to get the pipe to flex enough so I can get an elbow on there.

I'll keep going and see how far I go. Now just being cautious - there's no way I can crack right through the gunite to the pool side, is there?

I'd never chiseled concrete before, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. I'm using a 10" cold chisel and just chiseling by hand.

Dave S. - you're right, the trick will be how high I need to go just to get the pipe to flex enough so I can get an elbow on there.

I'll keep going and see how far I go. Now just being cautious - there's no way I can crack right through the gunite to the pool side, is there?

How thick is it ??? Any idea ?? In the pics it sure looks plenty thick.

I would agree to chipping it out but getting enough concrete removed from the back of the joint above the elbow is likely easier said than done. Give it a try but be prepared to push a tube up through it if the chipping doesn't work.

This is where a pipe extender comes in, It glues inside the pipe so you don't have to get to the backside.

Racket - I'll look into those pipe extenders today. Just searching Lowe's and Home Depot online, it doesn't look like they carry them, but there's a plumbing supply store here in town which I'm sure will have them.

Just to update everyone on the latest - the chiseling experiment didn't last long before I finally gave up. I kept thinking about the tube idea, but eventually tossed it as I got more and more uncomfortable with having to seal the tube against the PVC, and having that fail again sometime in the future.

What I had settled on last night was fashioning a "jacket" for the broken fitting with an elbow the next size up (the ID of a 1" elbow is pretty close to the OD of a 3/4" elbow). I made the jacket in the attached picture. I dremeled out the inside so the bend would match the bend of the broken elbow as closely as possible. I figured I would cement this to the outside of the broken elbow, bracing it and sealing it in the process. The big assumption here is that the crack doesn't go all the way around, and it doesn't appear to be.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Elbow Jacket.jpg
    Elbow Jacket.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 64
Racket - I'll look into those pipe extenders today. Just searching Lowe's and Home Depot online, it doesn't look like they carry them, but there's a plumbing supply store here in town which I'm sure will have them.

Just to update everyone on the latest - the chiseling experiment didn't last long before I finally gave up. I kept thinking about the tube idea, but eventually tossed it as I got more and more uncomfortable with having to seal the tube against the PVC, and having that fail again sometime in the future.

What I had settled on last night was fashioning a "jacket" for the broken fitting with an elbow the next size up (the ID of a 1" elbow is pretty close to the OD of a 3/4" elbow). I made the jacket in the attached picture. I dremeled out the inside so the bend would match the bend of the broken elbow as closely as possible. I figured I would cement this to the outside of the broken elbow, bracing it and sealing it in the process. The big assumption here is that the crack doesn't go all the way around, and it doesn't appear to be.

Stay tuned!

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Plastic...d=1427463946&sr=8-4&keywords=1"+pipe+extender

:hammer:

Stay tuned!

Now I've seen everything. :hammer:

I managed to find an irrigation plumbing store across town that carried them! In addition to the 3/4" Pipe Extension fitting, I also had to use a 3/4" Street Elbow and a 3/4" coupler to connect to the existing 3/4" pipe. Attached are pics after the repair. I let the cement cure for about an hour before turning the water on. So far no leaks!

Pic below after the repair:

WP_20150327_13_11_40_Pro_zpsxlvptvf6.jpg

Success pic below with the dog checking my work.

WP_20150327_13_16_36_Pro-cropped_zpssk1po0qf.jpg

So one last question: what's the best way to support this pipe before I bury it? Stuff some rocks underneath the pipe?

Now to replace my T-CELL-15....

Thanks, again, everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, that looks like a pretty nice clean repair :goodjob:

I would think a few (not sharp) rocks under the pipe should work. Just make sure to pack the dirt under the pipe pretty well before you fill everything in.

Very nice work, joelq.

I would suggest covering it with sand or pea gravel......maybe 2-3" over the top of the pipe.

That'll "flow " underneath the pipe and will not compress. Then throw dirt on top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.