Stoney Creek, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Just opened my pool a couple of days ago for our 3rd season, and noticed the water level was lower than the previous 2 years. After a couple of days of it being open this year, I’ve been noticed the water level dropping approx 1” each morning. I then noticed a fairly large crack in the bottom of my skimmer, could this be causing the water loss? And any recommendations on how to repair the issue? I’ve read a few other threads on here that recommended JB water weld as it can be used under water?

Attachments

• 83B482AF-F9A1-4D16-B922-5994CF93F398.jpeg
    83B482AF-F9A1-4D16-B922-5994CF93F398.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 25
You might try some epoxy on that crack. I can't quite tell from the pic, but hopefully you can get enough epoxy on it to where it doesn't interfere with your diverter valve. Below is just one example, but others may reply with other product ideas.

full

Reactions: Jer34
Skimmer cracks are generally the result of settling/movement around and underneath. Ideally it's best to dig up the area, replace any bad items, and re-pack to prevent further movement. It can be worthwhile trying to fix a skimmer crack with epoxy and seeing if it holds.

Repair products members have used include:

The only true fix is a skimmer replacement. Most pool-leak detection companies are able to do that with minimal damage to the deck.

Skimmer cracks are generally the result of settling/movement around and underneath. Ideally it's best to dig up the area, replace any bad items, and re-pack to prevent further movement. It can be worthwhile trying to fix a skimmer crack with epoxy and seeing if it holds.

Repair products members have used include:

The only true fix is a skimmer replacement. Most pool-leak detection companies are able to do that with minimal damage to the deck.
Thank you! I was thinking the best repair would be to replace, but am a bit concerned about the cost and amount of work involved. Will try the epoxy first to see if that holds.

Attachments

• D6DF2044-01AC-4932-8A1C-D11C5D36D002.jpeg
    D6DF2044-01AC-4932-8A1C-D11C5D36D002.jpeg
    685.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thank you! I was thinking the best repair would be to replace, but am a bit concerned about the cost and amount of work involved. Will try the epoxy first to see if that holds.
Just know that continued water leak through there can lead to water soaked soil which can cause lots of additional damage to the area. Be diligent about making sure whatever you do really stops the leak.

Reactions: Jer34
You might try some epoxy on that crack. I can't quite tell from the pic, but hopefully you can get enough epoxy on it to where it doesn't interfere with your diverter valve. Below is just one example, but others may reply with other product ideas.

full
Local pool store recommended the A+B, just finished applying it. Doesn’t look too bad? Supposed to take 1 hour to cure so we will see how it holds up. Appreciate all the help :)

Attachments

• 7BD0D4D9-D4F3-4D3D-B77E-86AD915D6D4B.jpeg
    7BD0D4D9-D4F3-4D3D-B77E-86AD915D6D4B.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.