Cover to eliminate existing main drain?

RobsTV

Apr 5, 2023
Florida
First, always running pool vac.
Have an 18 year old vinyl 14x28 inground and am replacing liner.

Thinking now would be the time to permanently block off the Hayward 8" main drains since they are not even used. Plugs inside is easy enough, but I would like to place a "flat cover" on drains, under liner, for additional support. All I could find were Light Doctor main drain discs, but at $80 a piece for something so simple, doesn't make sense.

Anything else out there or other possible solutions greatly appreciated!

Some brief history.
Installed the $6000 Hydra Pinnacle pool "kit" myself. Hot Florida year round use, no enclosure.
After a year or so installed Zodiac Baracuda G3 running from skimmer. It has frequently got hung up on main drains (2). Have had to replace vac parts a few times, and entire unit once. Running like this 7 hours a day, everyday, about 17 years, with vac normally in the water. Usually have plumbing set with main drain off, skimmer (vac) full on. The adjustable vac skimmer adaptor spring and vent allows water to flow from vac and skimmer at same time. Zero issues keeping water clear and equipment lasting (18 years on vinyl). Most of the time, remove vac system when we use pool. Just replaced pool pump (3rd) and currently using $35 a month running single speed 1hp pump 7 hours a day. Switched to SWG two months ago.

I would agree that now is the time to cover the area since the drain line is no loner used. I'm not sure if there is some type of cover suitable to use, or if it might just be better to fill the entire drain cavity before installing the new liner. Perhaps just fill the area with hydraulic cement or something else? Let's ask @AQUA~HOLICS for an opinion. Stand by .................

Reactions: RobsTV
but I would like to place a "flat cover" on drains, under liner, for additional support.
The drain housing should have a lip that goes through the liner. They need to be cut out and the hole filled / tamped IMO.

Reactions: RobsTV
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.