Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Here’s what I mean
IMG_8073.jpeg
The check valve/flapper is inside the larger part & is fine. Its more like an air release.
Other pumps don’t seem to even have this extra piece.
I think I recall it having a ball in it. Although I never found a ball after the “incident”, could be anywhere.
It was clogged with larvae 🐛 & dirt dauber stuff - after poking with wire & spraying it out it was still quite clogged so in my wisdom I attempted to remove what looked like the hex end & expose the inside. Well, that shape was all for show & its all one molded plastic part that doesn’t come apart so of course it broke.
Now it sprays a fountain of water continuously as the pump runs
IMG_8075.png
Is this a problem (aside from getting everything in the surrounding area wet)? The whole piece comes off but is not made as a replacement part you can purchase - I just called. 😑
Can I just plug/ fill the hole? Fashion a tube to divert the water?
IMG_8076.jpeg
The wayne pump - which looks exactly like this one has this with no air release thing but is 1 1/4” on the pump side instead of 1” so not a direct replacement without some modification.
IMG_8077.jpeg
Any thoughts on solutions?

You can try plugging that hole. I think you will find the pump will not prime and get water flowing. The pump needs that air relief to help it prime and the CV in it prevents water coming out once water is flowing.

If you are ok with the water spout you can run the pump that way.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I believe that valve is mostly for sump pump applications as you found out that it will clog easily when there is a lot of debris. It also allows the hose to drain after the pump shuts off (i.e. breaks the siphon). In most scenarios, priming should not be an issue since those pumps have a flooded suction when they turn on.

However, you could glue an aquarium style check valve at that location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
It’s pumping fine now - except the stream 🤣
I have various sizes of tubing at my disposal so I may attempt to just divert the stream so the area around the pool doesn’t stay wetter than necessary.
One unintended consequence of this goof up is that I can confirm the pump is going from afar which I don’t mind.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.