Courtyard Lap Pool (DFW)

Just make sure he knows that 3'8" is acceptable but 3'4" is not just as an example. You cant do anything once gunite is in. My PB had the depth just right so that 6" of gunite equal 3'6" of depth but they shot more gunite than that. Before they start steel, if they need to shave a few more inches off, then have them do it.

bpricedo said:
Just make sure he knows that 3'8" is acceptable but 3'4" is not just as an example. You cant do anything once gunite is in. My PB had the depth just right so that 6" of gunite equal 3'6" of depth but they shot more gunite than that. Before they start steel, if they need to shave a few more inches off, then have them do it.

Thanks for the advice. I think that will make the point clear.
I also notice that you have 2 Intellibrites in your pool as well - do you find them to be sufficient?

Two is enough. Obviously it is brighter by the lights than in other areas of the pool due to the irregular shape but I like the effect. Two in the wall pointing away from your house should light yours up nicely. I love the lights and like to have them on at night but the bugs like them too!

Just to chime in on what I've heard others say about the depth - make sure the PB knows you are talking about the WATER depth, not necessarily the same thing as pool depth. Our water level is about 6 inches lower than the top of the coping (we have safety coping which angles up, then several inches of grout, then two 3 inch tiles stacked for 6" of waterline tile. For our water to hit the skimmers correctly, we're filling right between the two tiles, thus about 6 inches down from the "ground level" at the edge of the coping). If we filled our pool to the top, it would swamp the skimmers but we would have a six inch deeper pool.

We made ours waterline 4 ft at the shallow end. That is what our health club is in their lap pool. That was major confusion between PB and us. Everyone interprets it differently. Once he understood waterline was where our measurements wanted to be we were all on the same page.

MiaOKC and skylar18:

Thanks for your input. I wanted 4' water depth on the shallow end but PB pointed out that will be too deep for young kids. Since our younger son is 4.5 yr old, I agreed with my wife to have 3'6" shallow. I do however expect it to be not less than 3'6". So your points are well taken i.e. to be clear that depth means water depth not depth measured from the deck level.

Thanks for your advice.

Congratulations on getting your dig going before the holiday! Lots of progress being made in your yard and I found the dialogue in this post to be helpful regarding equipment. Continued good luck!

FirstPoolLastPool said:
Congratulations on getting your dig going before the holiday! Lots of progress being made in your yard and I found the dialogue in this post to be helpful regarding equipment. Continued good luck!

Thanks ! - Our progress is no where close to the progress on your pool but we are moving :)
We expect steel and plumbing to be done this week.
And gunite the following week.

One thing to think about is to have a separate pump for laminars. It will make it much easier/faster to turn on/off laminars without disrupting pool filtering.
My PB included two separate pumps with independent suction lines for water features and now I find it extremely convenient to control water features via IntelliTouch wireless remote.

I support dropping the SRVS feature as the in-floor system may not be able to keep all the corners clean an you may have to manually vacuum once every one or two months.

sdv said:
One thing to think about is to have a separate pump for laminars. It will make it much easier/faster to turn on/off laminars without disrupting pool filtering.
My PB included two separate pumps with independent suction lines for water features and now I find it extremely convenient to control water features via IntelliTouch wireless remote.

I support dropping the SRVS feature as the in-floor system may not be able to keep all the corners clean an you may have to manually vacuum once every one or two months.

We actually dropped the laminars so that illustration is a bit inaccurate.
I will discuss with our designer the possibility of switching to VS instead of SRVS pumps.

Thankyou for your advice !

Regards

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, since you have travertine coping and deck, I would suggest to install an Intellichlor SWG system. I have the pool for a 1.5 years and have not observed any salt-related issues with travertine.
It will be easier to install IntelliTouch system now with the built-in Intelliclor power system then to retrofit later.

Having SWG will make your life so much easier.

sdv said:
Also, since you have travertine coping and deck, I would suggest to install an Intellichlor SWG system. I have the pool for a 1.5 years and have not observed any salt-related issues with travertine.
It will be easier to install IntelliTouch system now with the built-in Intelliclor power system then to retrofit later.

Having SWG will make your life so much easier.

I've actually considered that, but we do have an entire 21 foot long and 4 foot tall weeping wall that is Oklahoma flagstone.
I am a bit afraid of all the associated problems. Builders here make you sign waivers etc. and that makes me wonder about the implications.

Also - how do you like your travertine paver deck after 1.5 years of use?

I just love the travertine deck (french pattern) for the looks and that it is manageable to walk on under Houston's sun.
The only mainenance issue is due to the way how deck was installed - on the bed of crushed stone and sand. I have a free form pool with a lot of curves, so gaps between coping and the deck require addition of the polymer filler sand every 6-10 months to keep water from getting between coping and pavers due to splashing and rain.

Regarding SWG and the weeping wall - it looks like you don't have any water features that will splash the pool water directly on the wall and since it is behind the sun shelf, you may not get much splashing on it at all. I still think that putting in SWG was one of the best decisions I have made during the pool build.

Great to hear that you are satisfied with your choice of travertine. We are also getting french pattern. We are very excited about the choice as we just did not want concrete - we've had stained/stamped concrete on our existing patio and we were sure that we did not want to have it for the new deck.

I will certainly enquire about the SWG. I have to admit it is very intriguing.

Regarding lighting we are running low voltage cable to all columns and guess what - we ordered these just yesterday:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/o ... -p/650.htm
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/H ... -p/668.htm

So - I take it you are satisfied with your choice of VOLT (low voltage) lighting fictures?

Thanks again you've been very helpful.
Its nice to be able to confirm the correctness of some of our choices based on someone else's positive experience :)

Yes, I am happy with VOLT fixtures - very well built. And as long as transformer is installed at the equipment pad, it will be quite easy to use one of the available easytouch relays to control lights via wireless controller or via the easytouch scheduler

After several days of rain and other delays plumbing is in progress.
This is about 2 days of work and should be completed tomorrow (Day-18).
Lots of plumbing for the PV3 system.

p1621546131-5.jpg

p1745142335-5.jpg

p1653055000-5.jpg

p1696880494-5.jpg

p1831767932-5.jpg

p1788614758-5.jpg

p1862651902-5.jpg

p1651557171-5.jpg

p1788171096-5.jpg

p1841689499-5.jpg

p1750959586-5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.