South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Been trying to figure this out for a long time. We have a 400 BTU master temp heater and a 10,000 gallon pool. I’m trying to figure out just about how much it cost to run this thing per hour based on our local prices for gas. after a lot of research, the conclusion I came to which I thought was good enough was that the heater used 4 therms per hour? And that 1 therm was equal to 1 CCF (roughly). So basically I’m using 4 CCF per hour to run this thing (rounding off) and based on the attached bill, a 1 CCF is about 43 cents where I live and with all the other charges it comes to about .65/CCF So it costs about $2.60 per hour (roughly again) to run my heater?

Am I doing something very wrong in this thought process or am I close enough? thanks!

8D9F827E-7AE8-4C9E-9CCA-86BF2AA492D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think you are looking at the fully loaded gas cost.

On my gas bill I have separate rates for gas usage and gas distribution as well as other fees.

That gas bill you posted is for $111. How many CCF does it say you used during the billing period?

Last edited:
I don’t do well with math. That’s why I was adamant my children would take up to algebra in school. My one child loved math and continued taking high level courses up to statistics for her business degree.

Now, with all that said, way back when years before I found TFP, I heated my first pool for 2 months. I decided that supporting $300+ gas bills was not sustainable. That was back in 2000. I couldn’t imagine heating my pool with todays cost of natural gas.

Sorry, I don’t have an answer to your question. I have just added to the mystery.

Reactions: jlamb5990
I don’t think you are looking at the fully loaded gas cost.

On my gas bill I have separate rates for gas usage and gas distribution as well as other fees.

That gas bill you posted is for $111. How many CCF does it say you used during the billing period?
The bill is for $140. It is 111 CCF used.

Edit: keep in mind this is my total gas bill. Not just my pool heater.

Attachments

• BAFF3EBA-F541-4F01-BA0B-643BE7330F6D.png
    BAFF3EBA-F541-4F01-BA0B-643BE7330F6D.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 12
So it costs about a $1.26 per therm. Your heater uses roughly 4 therms per hour. So it costs about $5/hr to run your heater.

Reactions: jlamb5990
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.