Cost for solar mat heating +

repairman

Gold Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Lompoc, CA (central coast)
1. About how much is it to have a solar mat system installed on a flat roofed three car garage, full sun, next to a 15 x 35 ft. pool in Central CA? I have the plumbing to and from the pad to the garage already. Bubble solar pool cover is used year round. I already have a MiniMax Gas heater but I'm getting solar PV panels so want to transition from gas as much as possible. I could do it myself but I've done the full remodel and want to start doing something else. It looks like a small project compared, but..... Anyway, how much to have someone else do it and do it well?
2. I use the pool year round. How warm will they keep the pool in the winter in Lompoc near Pt. Conception. Looks like temp ave. are in low 50s from Nov - Feb and mid 60s March - Oct. (according to the site, WeatherSpark) So is it worth it? To compare to a heat pump I need to know the cost of the mat install and how much warmth they'll give me. Thanks.

1. I am in SoCal so slightly different market but in October of 2021 I was quoted $9,180 for a 450 sq ft system installed using SunStar panels. I ended up doing a DIY ground mount install instead.

2. Cant answer that for you but in our area, with 100% coverage (500sq ft surface area, 500 sq ft panels), without a pool cover, our pool stayed swimmable for *me all year. For my wife it extended the swimmable period to about 8 months. A secondary impact is I only had 2 days all year which resulted in an overnight cold water cutoff of the SWG so i did not need to supplement during the winter with liquid whereas my sister in the same general area did for several months.
2a. if you are installing sufficient solar PV (alot) the heat pump will be similar upfront cost but have the ability to dial in your desired temp and maintain that , likely all yr (at an electricity cost)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.