Bronze Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Claremore, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
So the stairs I have are screwed together and the top and middle pieces were breaking apart at the screws. I got these galvanized "plates" that I was told wouldn't rust and SS screws, but looks like it is rusting due to SWCG.
I know we worry about the metal walls of the pool rusting out, but should I worry about this?
Thank youpool steps.jpeg

You really don't want anything rusting in the water. Iron content and potential staining is a pain. I doubt the SWG (or pool's saline content) is to blame. More than likely it's the quality of the metals/screws and/or their reaction to one another. I can't help but wonder if there's a batter way to secure those parts together. @Mdragger88 any ideas?

Reactions: oldprophet
So the stairs I have are screwed together and the top and middle pieces were breaking apart at the screws. I got these galvanized "plates" that I was told wouldn't rust and SS screws, but looks like it is rusting due to SWCG.
I know we worry about the metal walls of the pool rusting out, but should I worry about this?
Thank youView attachment 504691
Galvanized plated will rust, just slower than normal steel plates. And those plates aren’t galvanized on the edges or the ends where they were cut. They would need to be stainless steel plates (or non-metallic) to avoid rust.

Those definitely need to go.
I suggest drilling holes where needed & using thick zip ties to hold them together. The really big ones for hvac
Also, more holes = more flow so less propensity for algae. Its a win win 👍🏻

Btw if you start noticing that your steps are yellowing from the iron, the barkeepers friend more foaming spray works fantastic. I cleaned mine this year with it when I pulled them out to put the handrail on & it was like magic. I didn’t realize how yellow/orangish they had gotten!
It is a mix of citric & oxalic acids.

Thank you for your replies. Kinda figured iron oxide wouldn't be good building up in the pool. Had some larger people and kids hanging and pulling on rails that it broke down.
Was trying to avoid buying a whole new set of stairs. will check into the zip tie suggestion.
Will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Newdude
So I got the screws and metal plates off, but the plastic is stained...at least it's in the pool and not as noticeable, and used zip ties as was suggested. Hopefully, they will stand the test of time ;-)
Chemistries are looking good though, and I've had the Core 55 at 25%. zip tie steps 2.jpegzip tie steps.jpeg

Looks like a couple aren't doing anything, but hopefully enough are.

You could drill new (more) ziptie holes if need be.

Try the bkf on the stains while they’re out of the pool
IMG_6681.jpeg
Or some crushed up vitamin c tablets in a sock if you put them back in already

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank youView attachment 504691
Galvanized metal and pool water are not a good mix and it should never be actually in the pool. All pools that have ever used chlorine have salt in them so a SWG is not the issue. If you have ever seen inside galvanized plumbing that only has potable water flowing through it you would see that it is rusted. Add chemically-treated pool water and you get faster rust.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.