Corroding ladder / rail anchors.

Jul 2, 2018
Bayville
The anchors for my rails and ladder seem to be corroding and it looks like they are aluminum. Also, I destroyed one of the hand rails removing it last year, and need to replace it. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop it from corroding,
and can I use something like anti seize on the stainless to keep them from getting stuck.
I also see Saftron composite rails, are they any good and would they be better for not getting stuck?
Thanks.

The anchors for my rails and ladder seem to be corroding and it looks like they are aluminum. Also, I destroyed one of the hand rails removing it last year, and need to replace it. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop it from corroding,
and can I use something like anti seize on the stainless to keep them from getting stuck.
I also see Saftron composite rails, are they any good and would they be better for not getting stuck?
Thanks.
Saftron rails are very good. I install a few every year and have had one for my pool for 10 years. Would need to see your mounting system to give more info.

That's typical of aluminum on a bonding grid because it acts as a sacrificial anode to everything else on the grid except other aluminum like the casing of an Intelliflo pump.

There's not much you can do to fix it or slow the process down.

Brass or Saftron anchors would be best as a replacement.

Brass would require a bonding connection, which is hard to reestablish.

In my opinion, they should not make cup anchors out of aluminum and no one should ever use them.

Last edited:
I would core drill out the cup anchors and replace them with Saftron anchor cups and a Saftron rail.

You would most likely not be able to reattach the bond wire, so you would have to use Saftron rails as they do not require a bonding connection.

Reactions: 1poolman1
I would core drill out the cup anchors and replace them with Saftron anchor cups and a Saftron rail.

You would most likely not be able to reattach the bond wire, so you would have to use Saftron rails as they do not require a bonding connection.

Similar issue with my last pool. Since I also had cracking concrete because the aluminum cups were installed too close to the steps and coping, I had a whole section of concrete removed instead of just the cups. New Saftron cups and rails were installed.

Reactions: JamesW
I'm not ready to replace the anchors just yet, that's why I was wondering if anti seize would work.
I'm surprised it's corroding like that, I have a 17# mag. anode on the system. Also, If i cut the bonding wire, wouldn't that break the whole "circuit" ?

I have a 17# mag. anode on the system.
Can you show that?
Also, If I cut the bonding wire, wouldn't that break the whole "circuit" ?
It depends on how the bond wire is run.

If it is a closed loop or if the cups are branched off, then cutting won’t affect the bond of other things.

If it is an open loop and the cups are directly on the loop, it might affect things downstream from the cups.

It’s probably best to avoid cutting the bond wire.

Maybe some type of grease or anti seize would help the rail come out later.

The Aluminum will continue to corrode, so it’s only a matter of time before you have to replace the cups.

You can probably find and reconnect the bond wire if necessary.

Thanks, when the time comes, I'll probably cut the concrete with a demo saw, and make a hole big enough to work in. I don't feel like getting involved right now. LOL.
HERE is what the anode looks like. I can't show it 'cause its buried about about 3'deep. I used to work for the gas company, and we would install whole beds of them for the steel gas mains and run the wires to C.P. Stations.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not ready to replace the anchors just yet, that's why I was wondering if anti seize would work.
I'm surprised it's corroding like that, I have a 17# mag. anode on the system. Also, If i cut the bonding wire, wouldn't that break the whole "circuit" ?

Until you are ready to replace the anchors, you could try coating the rail that enters the anchor with white lithium grease. I used that when my anchors were corroding. This grease holds up to rain and salt water intrusion from the pool. It's messy to work with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.