Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I am installing a Pentaire 355014S, model number 196235. The motor that I have does not have a run capacitor installed. Does anyone know the correct capacitor size, MFD & voltage? It is a 2 HP, 2.5 amp, single phase motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20240109_131657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240109_131657_HDR.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240109_131714_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240109_131714_HDR.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 13
Try here:

I am replacing a 1.5 HP Pentair pump motor with a 2.0 HP Pentair pump motor. The 2.0 hp motor, PN: 355014S, is missing the run capacitor. I believe the correct capacitor is either a 30 MFD or 50 MFD but have not been able to verify which is correct. My Owner Manual lists every part for the Whisperflo pump except for the capacitor. I called Pentair support and they told me to contact AO Smith who told me they sold the pool motor business to Regal Rexnord who has not replied to my enquiry. I asked multiple online pool supply stores as well as Leslie's. No help from anyone.
Does anyone on this forum have a Pentaire 355014S, Model 196235, that you can check which capacitor is installed?

What happened to the original capacitor?

I suspect that it is probably a 30 uF capacitor, but I do not know for sure.

You can try a 30 uF and then check the power factor to see if it is good.

The correct capacitor will result in the motor operating with a power factor between about 0.94 and 1.00.

I do not think that using a 30 uF instead of a 50 uF will cause any significant problems if you try it long enough to check the power factor.

If the motor does not start with a 30 uF, try the 50 uF.

The motor looks used, so it might not even work with a new capacitor.

In any case, do everything at your own risk.

I bought the motor a couple of years ago from a local pool repair guy. He said it was a spare that he had and assured me that it is a good motor. I suspect he robbed the cap from this motor to repair another motor that he was working on. Unfortunately that guy is no longer in business and no longer has the same number so I don't know how to contact him. I'll try it with a 30 MFD and see if that works.

Reactions: JamesW
I'll try it with a 30 MFD and see if that works.
Ideally, you would verify the power factor, but that requires a specific multimeter that most people do not have.

You can get a multimeter, but they are fairly expensive.

If the motor is good, the capacitor should be close enough.

You can check the amperage to see if it is higher than the motor label.

If you try the 30 uF (Microfarad) and the 50 uF capacitor and you check the amperage both ways, the amperage for the correct capacitor will be slightly lower.

The maximum amperage at 230 volts is 10.2 amps, which is 2,346 watts.

1705189174009.png

1705189301806.png

Last edited:
Thanks. Just curious, why do motor manufacturers not list the run capacitor on the parts list? I have the Pentair parts list and have looked at Century and Regal Rexnord and do not see run capacitor part numbers on any parts list.

I found this information.

It is interesting, but I am not sure that it makes sense.

The Actual Watts (Real Power) should be the same for each capacitor.

A higher power factor should result in the lowest Apparent Power.

In any case, check the amperage under load to see if it is less than the motor label.

If it is higher than the motor label, then the motor is being overloaded.

1705258575160.png

https://coralspringspumprepair.com/capsize.html

Last edited:
The correct capacitor will result in the motor operating with a power factor between about 0.94 and 1.00.
It seems that a Power Factor of 1.00 might be undesirable.

Contact the Manufacturer and ask them.

Customer Service: 1-833-734-2500

Original Equipment Manufacturers Customer Service​

Regal Rexnord America, Inc.​

Phone: (937) 667-7847​

Fax: (937) 667-6644

1705278450119.png
Regal Rexnord who has not replied to my enquiry.
Call, email, use the web contact, fax etc.

Keep doing every contact type until they answer you.

Do not quit until you have done each method at least 100 times each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally found a dry day when I was home to install and test the new motor. The line voltage is 250 VAC, a little high but since I live in a rural area it's not surprising. The current with the 30 MFD capacitor is 9.7 amps. The current with the 50 MFD capacitor is 9.2 amps. So I am leaving the 50 MFD capacitor on the motor.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.