Cornstarch in the pool water

Katetski

Jul 28, 2023
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hello. We have an Intex pool. 20’ round. It’s our second year with it and when I packed it up I used cornstarch to ensure it was dry. When it was set up, the cornstarch hadn’t been vacuumed out. It was only filled a few inches when I got home so I vacuumed and wiped down the inside walls. Unfortunately, the cornstarch that was on the bottom is not being filtered out by the system (standard Intex filter (A/C). Pool is clear when no one in it or filter not running. Chemicals all in proper ranges. But when I vacuum or once the filter is running it gets cloudy. The vacuum debris canister is pretty fine but not enough to trap the cornstarch. Any way to remove the cornstarch? Definitely a HUGE lesson learned.

Let it all settle & then slowly Vac to waste - you can do this by siphon vacuuming
Thank you. I’ll take a look to see if the powder settles in a way I could vacuum/siphon it. It’s so fine now that I don’t know if it will work. It’s been pushed through the pool filter as well as the vacuum basket. When I vacuum with the cordless vacuum it pumps the water out the side and I can see the cloud of cornstarch!

If it ever happens again I could definitely use this method when the first few inches were filled and the particles where visible.

Do you have a skimmer?
You can use a skimmer sock - they sell some that catch very fine particles.
Looks like cornstarch can be as small as 5 microns so you want socks &/or slime bags that catch particles smaller than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.