Coping Upgrade Cost

I agree with Bmoreswim's list of priority upgrades.

And from what I've learned here and from what you have shared, I would NOT upgrade the pool surface/finish. This site does support and recognize the value of upgrading to a more superior and expensive finish, so let me explain why I wouldn't if I were in your situation:

* limited budget - big savings by staying with plaster
* plaster has a decent life (I've read 7-10 years or more) if the chemicals are well maintained (TFP successfully coaches a great and less expensive routine for keeping pool water crystal clear)
* your pool is relatively small, so when the plaster needs a redo, a finish upgrade would be reasonable compared to a much larger pool
* at the time of a finish redo, income will probably be higher making an upgrade easier
* for the pool I'm building (first and last), I see this as my dream of a lifetime pool, so by golly, I'm splurging; I am not getting the sense it is the same for you and your wife (I probably have decades on you guys which can make a difference!)
* also, for me and my family, I will be in this house until I'm gone, and the plan is for our son to enjoy it now and after we're gone; again, I'm not hearing any sort of mention of a permanent stay in your current situation.

I really like the car-buying analogy! (sorry, but I've forgotten whom to credit that great comparison!) When first married, we bought the least expensive set of wheels possible which would give us the basic equipment for transportation. We had complete faith that someday we would be able to buy our dream car. (probably a little naïve in our thinking, but it worked out!)

When making your decisions on the upgrades:
1. consider what the experts and experienced pool owners on this forum have to say. They know what they're talking about and are NOT making suggestions to benefit themselves.
2. weigh and measure what you learn here and from other research, and adjust to suit your needs, wants, and budgets.
3. And then..... have a ball and enjoy! Geez, a new home AND a new pool. Sounds like fun to me!!! :party:

Let us know (even me, but especially the experts) if we can do anything! And keep us posted on your decisions - with lots of pictures.... Best wishes! Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it!!! Bmoreswim proposed that analogy of pool upgrades with buying a basic car!!! Gotta give credit where credit is due, right?! Suz.

I agree with Bmoreswim's list of priority upgrades.

And from what I've learned here and from what you have shared, I would NOT upgrade the pool surface/finish. This site does support and recognize the value of upgrading to a more superior and expensive finish, so let me explain why I wouldn't if I were in your situation:

* limited budget - big savings by staying with plaster
* plaster has a decent life (I've read 7-10 years or more) if the chemicals are well maintained (TFP successfully coaches a great and less expensive routine for keeping pool water crystal clear)
* your pool is relatively small, so when the plaster needs a redo, a finish upgrade would be reasonable compared to a much larger pool
* at the time of a finish redo, income will probably be higher making an upgrade easier
* for the pool I'm building (first and last), I see this as my dream of a lifetime pool, so by golly, I'm splurging; I am not getting the sense it is the same for you and your wife (I probably have decades on you guys which can make a difference!)
* also, for me and my family, I will be in this house until I'm gone, and the plan is for our son to enjoy it now and after we're gone; again, I'm not hearing any sort of mention of a permanent stay in your current situation.

I really like the car-buying analogy! (sorry, but I've forgotten whom to credit that great comparison!) When first married, we bought the least expensive set of wheels possible which would give us the basic equipment for transportation. We had complete faith that someday we would be able to buy our dream car. (probably a little naïve in our thinking, but it worked out!)

When making your decisions on the upgrades:
1. consider what the experts and experienced pool owners on this forum have to say. They know what they're talking about and are NOT making suggestions to benefit themselves.
2. weigh and measure what you learn here and from other research, and adjust to suit your needs, wants, and budgets.
3. And then..... have a ball and enjoy! Geez, a new home AND a new pool. Sounds like fun to me!!! :party:

Let us know (even me, but especially the experts) if we can do anything! And keep us posted on your decisions - with lots of pictures.... Best wishes! Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it!!! Bmoreswim proposed that analogy of pool upgrades with buying a basic car!!! Gotta give credit where credit is due, right?! Suz.

Very good advice.

Either one of those is a good deal. 20k basic pool or 30k upgraded pool. If you can swing the extra 10k it seems worth it to me. If not, you'll have many years of enjoyment in the 20k pool. Do what you can and don't look back.

Good news - just went back and re read the contract we signed as part of house documents we signed back in January which states the pool includes standard pre-cast coping with safety edge, which we much prefer over red flagstone. Will be pointing pool company to the contract next week. While Oklahoma flagstone would be preferred, I wont pay 2k for it.

If you are going to add a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (highly recommended) you would be best to forget about stone altogether and go with the precast coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exactly. You like it, it's cheaper and it plays well with salt. Win-win-win.

If this isn't your dream house and you feel you will be moving on, in say the next ten years or so, I would just stick to the standard package. It's not ideal and there are some items I would like changed, but like a lot of builders they make their money on overpriced upgrades. The basic isn't bad, and you can't beat a finished pool for $20k, just ask anyone here what they spent. Mine cost $45k and that was ten years ago.

After they are done with the pool i suggest you add a SWG system for $1k, DIY or + $400 to have a pool service install.

If this isn't your dream house and you feel you will be moving on, in say the next ten years or so, I would just stick to the standard package. It's not ideal and there are some items I would like changed, but like a lot of builders they make their money on overpriced upgrades. The basic isn't bad, and you can't beat a finished pool for $20k, just ask anyone here what they spent. Mine cost $45k and that was ten years ago.

After they are done with the pool i suggest you add a SWG system for $1k, DIY or + $400 to have a pool service install.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to do some research on swg on this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.