Cooler Weather, FC - 3 days no change?

Timely thread. My FC depletion rate just began to decrease again (vs the summer/early fall rate), about the same time as last year.

Last week, it decreased from an average of 1.0 - 1.5 / day to about 0.5 / day.

My current FC/CYA range is FC: 3-7.

I last dosed (w/Bleach) on Fri Nov 27.

Mon 11/30: FC 6
Wed 12/02: FC 5

I am getting similar results - my FC is staying pretty high, and not moving much at all - last week it was 9.5 and after a week of no testing, and some big storms it is 8.5. I have turned my SWG down to 5%, but may need to shut it off entirely. The filter time was dropped a few weeks ago from 5-6 hours to 3 hours per day. Also, the PH was over 7.8 so I added some acid, brushed the sun shelf and did several runs with the robot to get the pool extra clean. Our water temp is down to cool 52°. Only a month ago I was swimming in 72° water!!!

My task this weekend will be to clean the filter for the first time - Woo hoo

Sooo weird! I'm at 8 today. But haven't added bleach. I keep thinking what if my chemicals are bad but my water looks perfect.

The overcast conditions vs sunny conditions can have a major effect. Most of this area of Texas has been socked in by a cloud layer for about 10 days, so the loss has been reduced. Blue skies and sun returned on Wednesday and demand went up some requiring some bleach.

My FC had drifted up to 15 in the past several weeks with lower demand and the cell still producing a bunch. With water temps dropping and the salt cell getting less efficient and screaming about low salt when the salt is fine.... It is soon time to just disable it and go to nothing but bleach. My FC tested last night at 8.

Also time to let pH stay higher than summer conditions to compensate for the colder water. I keep pump/filter time consistent the entire year.

Wait, what? I should be keeping my PH higher in winter? I just tested today and noticed my PH had dropped from 7.6 to 7.4 and my TA had dropped from 100 to 80. I just thought they were seekin equilibrium.
Full test results
FC 7 (added bleach to get to 9)
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 90 (working on this over the winter to get it down.
What is the logic to maintain a higher ph in winter? How much higher?

Wait, what? I should be keeping my PH higher in winter? I just tested today and noticed my PH had dropped from 7.6 to 7.4 and my TA had dropped from 100 to 80. I just thought they were seekin equilibrium.
Full test results
FC 7 (added bleach to get to 9)
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 90 (working on this over the winter to get it down.
What is the logic to maintain a higher ph in winter? How much higher?

I'm going to caveat my answer to say that *MY* experience is with SWG and plaster, which is not your pool type. Other forum members with more experience can round out and/or correct me if I'm wrong.

As you may know, there's a pool water measure called CSI (Calcium (Calcite?) Saturation Index). Its components are pH plus adjustment factors for temperature, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness. There's also a constant (12.1), which is an adjustment for Total Dissolved Solids. I would be wise to point out at this point in time of my response that the use of CSI is not an agreed upon "test" or value in pool maintenance. Discussion has been made both for and against it's use, both here and on other forums for years (I've seen ChemGeek's posting on other forums on this topic as far back as 2008)

*I* use CSI as a general guidance to ensure that the holistic view of the water chemistry is correct. The target is slightly negative, so slightly "aggressive" water. Note that aggressive is often confused with corrosive. The original CSI work focused on predicting the precipitation of calcium scale and not corrosion of metal.

Since one of the inputs to CSI is temperature, as your pool water temperature decreases, your CSI can change as well, becoming more aggressive (negative). However, since the most direct influence is pH, letting it drift upward in colder water, "compensates" for the temperature and restores the CSI to balance. That point was the key for me to understanding the difference between summer and winter maintenance.

If as BuckeyeCrhis said, you play around in PoolMath, you'll see that one way to keep your CSI "constant" year round (in other words, if *I* was focusing on keeping it at about -0.2), is to adjust the other parameters that influence it such as pH and TA. You wouldn't want to play with Calcium Hardness because that's going to involve draining water at some point in the switch between warmer and colder water.

As for the specifics of how much higher on pH, likely not much. No more than a 7.8 target in colder water whereas warmer water you may be targeting 7.5 to 7.6. The difference in CSI between a pH of 7.5 and 7.8 is a contribution of 0.28 on a 30,000 pool.

Like I said, *I* find it useful for *me*. I am in no way telling you to adjust your maintenance techniques to start using it. For *me*, CSI provided a solid basis for understanding why winter pool maintenance targets for *my* pool were different than summer targets. I'm an engineer and wanted to understand the "why" as opposed to just 'do this at this time of the year'.

Nothing I've said is intended as a post against any other member/topic/thread in which CSI is discussed. I'm simply relating *my* understanding and application of its usefulness to *my* situation.

Ok, makes sense. I have noticed the csi getting off as it gets colder. It comes down to for a vinyl pool do you manage to csi or do you just look at if the paremeters are in the required range. To date I have just been making sure if the paremeters are in range. I have considered making adjustments for csi, but playing with pool math, it looks like I get a bigger bang adjust my ch, it is only 50. I will run a full set of tests this weekend and play with pool math to see what my options are. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.