Spring, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Looking to clean my cool decking. Is there any chemical I can use that is safe for the pool? I am afraid pressure washer will take off paint.

I guess I could use a cap of bleach in a bucket of water.

Pressure washing is safe as long as you are careful to avoid any area that has any chips or cracks, where it could get under the surface. The real key to maintaining a coated deck is sealing any chips or cracks as they appear. For cleaning solution, more like a cup of bleach in a bucket of water than a cap.

I pressure wash my deck annually, I have rolled a full coat of color top coat on it once, and make sure to touch up cracks and chips regularly. The deck looks like new after 13 years.

Pressure washing is safe as long as you are careful to avoid any area that has any chips or cracks, where it could get under the surface. The real key to maintaining a coated deck is sealing any chips or cracks as they appear. For cleaning solution, more like a cup of bleach in a bucket of water than a cap.

I pressure wash my deck annually, I have rolled a full coat of color top coat on it once, and make sure to touch up cracks and chips regularly. The deck looks like new after 13 years.

What did you use for the color top coat? I'm getting ready to do it, but unsure of what product to use, as reviews are all over the place, and my neighbors seem to have to repaint every few years.. I have a kool Deck that has been painted over once by the previous owner. I have a few small areas of paint that have flaked off, but overall it's still in good condition. I've been in the house for 10 years, and I only pressure wash/scrub once or twice a year. I want the new surface to hold up as good as the previous top coat.

Problem with the cool decking is the more coats of paint you put on, the less cool the surface becomes.

My deck has one coat on it, and I had a small area that chipped. I took another paint chip with me and had them color match it. I simply just painted the area that was chipped and that’s it. You can’t even tell where it is.

Problem with the cool decking is the more coats of paint you put on, the less cool the surface becomes.

My deck has one coat on it, and I had a small area that chipped. I took another paint chip with me and had them color match it. I simply just painted the area that was chipped and that’s it. You can’t even tell where it is.

Rob,
I have a bunch of areas that won't get clean anymore. What did you use for paint/stain on the chipped areas?

My deck never was Kool Deck. It is textured acrylic coating. Looks the same but it is not porous and is much more durable. You can coat your deck with acrylic colored top coat and it will perform essentially the same as an acrylic coated deck. When you fully seal it with acrylic top coat you will lose much of the cooling effect though. The product I use is the same top coat that was originally applied to my deck. You should be able to get a similar product locally in your area.

Xcel Surfaces » Top Coat

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My deck never was Kool Deck. It is textured acrylic coating. Looks the same but it is not porous and is much more durable. You can coat your deck with acrylic colored top coat and it will perform essentially the same as an acrylic coated deck. When you fully seal it with acrylic top coat you will lose much of the cooling effect though. The product I use is the same top coat that was originally applied to my deck. You should be able to get a similar product locally in your area.

Xcel Surfaces » Top Coat

I'm not positive that mine is a real Kool Deck. It could be SunDek or another acrylic system. I'm not the original owner. Looking at H&C topcoat stain, but would like to hear what others have used successfully. I have neighbors who day the H&C doesn't hold up well. Mortex Systex is not easily available in my area, at least where i can find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.