Convinced!! Now to convert from Pristine Blue

Is it normal for it to take a while to get up to the shock level? Due to my schedule I am only able to check and add 2-3 times per day. I'm supposed to be at 13 and am at 11 as of this morning. It has been slowly going up with each reading.

Depends what is in the water. If the water were clean, then you would reach the target FC in 30 minutes. But if there is something in the water then the FC would be consumed.

jblizzle said:
Depends what is in the water. If the water were clean, then you would reach the target FC in 30 minutes. But if there is something in the water then the FC would be consumed.

The pool sat uncovered all winter. We have raked it and got most everything out but, since the water isn't clear its impossible to know if its 100% clean so I'm sure that's probably whats happening.

Ok guys! I've been doing the shock process for 2 days now and it seems like the water didn't change between yesterday and this morning. Checked my FC and it was at 11. My target is 13. Just for giggles I checked the CYA and it is at 60. Now the calculator suggests that my FC should be at 18 to shock. I only added what the pool calculator suggested to raise my CYA to 30. Am I doing something wrong? Should I continue with the suggested shock level at CYA of 60?

Also, I have been brushing the pool daily. :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Well the CYA had to come from somewhere. Did you use any solid form of chlorine? What kind of lighting were you in for the CYA test?

Have you performed the OCLT?

I added 6 pounds of 100% cyanuric acid on Saturday.

No solid form of chlorine. I check the CYA in daylight.

I have not performed OCLT yet but will tonight. The pool was a very dark green color when I started, so I'm guessing that there still might be some algae in there.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm not being patient enough since the pool was in pretty bad shape to begin with.

nismostate said:
Are you sure the 30,375 Gal is correct? I had to play with the pool size until the chemicals added = chemicals measured according to pool calculator.

18x36 rectangle. 3.5' shallow and 9.5' deep. I used the formula on the pool calc and averaged the depth. Is that the correct way?

6 pounds should have only raised your CYA by 24ppm ... so I have no idea how you are now at 60ppm, unless you did not start with 0ppm.

What does the water look like now?

Sounds like the pool is likely between 27k and 31k ... kind of depends on the depth profile.

jblizzle said:
6 pounds should have only raised your CYA by 24ppm ... so I have no idea how you are now at 60ppm, unless you did not start with 0ppm.

What does the water look like now?

Sounds like the pool is likely between 27k and 31k ... kind of depends on the depth profile.

I checked the CYA before I added the cyanuric acid and it showed 0. Will the copper that is in the pool have an effect on the CYA?

The water is a light bluish green.

jblizzle said:
No the metal will not affect the CYA ... although it could be causing the water color if it is clear.

Ok!

The only things I have put in my water are the cyanuric acid and bleach, and of course there's still copper in there.

So should I keep my shock level at what's required for CYA of 60 and then do the OCLT tonight and see what I come up with?

Ok! After some studying in Pool School, I think my water color issue is from the copper in the water. The water that I get for my testing is clear but the pool looks light green. I would post pics but I can't catch the right light to show the true color. I checked it and I am at 1.0 ppm of copper. Does this sound right to anybody? Could that be why I'm not seeing a drastic change in the water color? Or have I not been shocking long enough?

With my CC still at 1 should I maintain shock levels until the CC gets closer to zero before trying the OCLT?

Also, do I need to wait until after the shock process to add some sequestrant?

Okiesummer said:
Ok! After some studying in Pool School, I think my water color issue is from the copper in the water. The water that I get for my testing is clear but the pool looks light green. I would post pics but I can't catch the right light to show the true color. I checked it and I am at 1.0 ppm of copper. Does this sound right to anybody? Could that be why I'm not seeing a drastic change in the water color? Or have I not been shocking long enough?

With my CC still at 1 should I maintain shock levels until the CC gets closer to zero before trying the OCLT?

Also, do I need to wait until after the shock process to add some sequestrant?
You have nailed it! :goodjob: Pristine Blue adds Copper.

You are also correct that the overnight loss test can wait until CC is down.

I've been blessed to not have any metals in my water (and also never needed to do the shock proces) so I can't really say on the time table for the sequestrant.

Thanks Richard320!

This thing is driving me nuts! I also believe some of the color issue is due to staining. I had some staining in years past and didn't know why. I hate Pristine Blue! I wish I never would have put that garbage in my pool. I just hope my Fiberglass isn't gonna be ruined!

I'm gonna stick with the shock process until the CC comes down. Its still at 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.