Converting Trichlor to Liquid Chlorine

With the swg u are basically buying all your chlorine up front in the form of rare earth metals. Also right now discount salt pool has the upgrade sale & u can get a universal 40 for $979 if u pick the universal 25 & select upgrade
Or the Universal 55 for $10 more than the u40

Reactions: JKB121
With the swg u are basically buying all your chlorine up front in the form of rare earth metals. Also right now discount salt pool has the upgrade sale & u can get a universal 40 for $979 if u pick the universal 25 & select upgrade
Or the Universal 55 for $10 more than the u40
Looks like a good deal. Not sure of the difference between Universal 40 and Edge 40....

Looks like a good deal. Not sure of the difference between Universal 40 and Edge 40....
The universal is an older design & produces more chlorine.
the edge has a longer warranty along with the differences in controller layouts.
If u are on a mobile device u can turn it sideways to see/compare all the models. If u click them it will take u to the product page for more in depth info.
Its a great chart to compare many different units & find what features are important to u. Every 40k gal rated cell doesn’t have the same output - they’re not apples to apples. So looking at #’s per day is important. Along with initial cost, warranty, replacement cell costs & warranty considerations.
Lots of folks just look at the gallon rating & think they’re good only to later realize they must run their cell pretty much 24 hrs a day at 100% to produce the fc they need.
You can look at poolmath effects of adding (select swg) & determine what your average cell run time would look like with each unit.

Reactions: JKB121
Well..... after weighing all the pros and cons of both systems, (and leaning towards CL injection), I went SWG. With the promo at Discount Salt Pool, the $1,200.00 generator is $979.00. Thanks @Mdragger88 . I learned that their 7 year warranty is not REALLY a 7 year warranty though. A discount off parts is not what I call warranty.

The availability and price of Liquid CL in my area was also a factor...

Well..... after weighing all the pros and cons of both systems, (and leaning towards CL injection), I went SWG. With the promo at Discount Salt Pool, the $1,200.00 generator is $979.00. Thanks @Mdragger88 . I learned that their 7 year warranty is not REALLY a 7 year warranty though. A discount off parts is not what I call warranty.

The availability and price of Liquid CL in my area was also a factor...
Congrats!
Its a good feeling to make your own chlorine that’s for sure- especially in these crazy times!

Using your logic, I could use My SmartThings hub to control a Zwave outlet to control a pump like yours. I can control an outlet down to seconds, and with a touch of a button, turn on extra CL.
For the sake of others who may stumble upon this thread later, I would caution anyone to consider how important reliability is when automating a liquid chlorine doser. Too many times (even with an incredibly robust Zwave mesh) I witnessed missed events. If the dosing pump turns on when the circulation pump isn't running or if it fails to turn off reliably bad results will ensue. While I've got various automation tech all over my house (and have programmed industrial automation professionally), this is one application I apply the KISS principal to.

Since my ancient pool has quite a bit of copper plumbing I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope liquid chlorine pricing corrects sooner than later!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.