Converting to SWG - can I prepare ahead of time by adding salt now?

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
My pool is all opened and usual liquid chlorine and cya levels. Everything is clear and stable.

I intend to switch over to a SWG (pentair ic60) and I'm waiting for the site evaluation and installation. I'm trying to jump this sooner than later given the cost of liquid chlorine.

Can I start adding salt now ahead of time, even though nothing is setup for the SWG, as long as I test the levels and don't overshoot?

If yes, do I keep my cya at liquid chlorine levels (30-40) and later up the cya once the SWG is installed or do I prepare that ahead of time as well?

You can add salt to a pool at anytime. Include it to your PoolMath test results as it might have a slight impact. I wouldn't increase the CYA until the cell is installed because you'll still treat your pool as a non salt pool for FC/CYA Levels purposes which would require a higher FC level.

Reactions: ionizer
Make sure you test your current salt levels before adding salt. It is not uncommon for pool owners to be surprised on how much salt they already have in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.