Gold Supporter
Jul 26, 2022
Montgomery, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am going to convert my pool to use a Pentair IC60 SWG for chlorine production and I have a question about the plumbing. I have an Intelliflo3 pump for may main filter. I usually my pump just enough to make sure the skimmers are working properly. Sometimes I run it a higher speed to push extra water theough some bubblers for my toddler grandchildren. Somewhere over 2,400 RPMs I exceed the 80 GPM threshold Pentair says requires a bypass loop. (I wish I had put the bubblers on a separate pump but that is a topic for another thread.) The Intellichlor installation manual shows a diagram with a flow control valve in the straight pipe that bypasses the SWG. What can I do so that I get enough flow to the SWG at the lower speed, probably 1,200-1,400, but allows the over the limit volume to bypass the SWG without having to manually set a diverter valve when I change speeds?

Screenshot_20230714_223558_Samsung Notes.jpg

I would not worry about it. It says the cell is designed to operate up to 105 GPM. I doubt you are pushing that much through your filter and heater.

For the few times you crank up the pump to amuse the kids nothing bad will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo
Kev,

I suspect that 99.9% of the IntelliChlor SWCG installs do not have this by-pass plumbing and that the other .1% don't need the by-pass plumbing.. :mrgreen:

I agree with Allen, it is just not needed in your situation.

What your pump can theoretically do, and what it can actually do in real life, are two different things.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: KevMo
TW,

If you try to run the SWCG with no water flow, it could actually blow up!! The Cell has an internal flow switch at the input end of the cell. Without water flow, the flow switch will not close, and this will keep the cell from working.

The flow switch is the Secondary safety device for the cell. The Primary safety device is that the cell's power center is wired so that it only gets AC power when the main pool pump is running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

TW,

If you try to run the SWCG with no water flow, it could actually blow up!! The Cell has an internal flow switch at the input end of the cell. Without water flow, the flow switch will not close, and this will keep the cell from working.

The flow switch is the Secondary safety device for the cell. The Primary safety device is that the cell's power center is wired so that it only gets AC power when the main pool pump is running.

Thanks,

Jim R.
OK, so this flow switch is built into the SWG? Yes, I have the intellicenter wired to always have power to the pump and a relay to the SWG.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.