Mt. Airy, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
So I've read comments about testing before adding any salt when converting to salt water pool, but usually it says something like 'you might already have 500ppm.' I measured and I have 1200ppm via Taylor K-1766.

In ground freeform pool (kidney) with spa est 22k gallons

This pool was completely drained and re-plastered in 2021, and I drain down below the returns for winter, and let rain re-fill through the mesh safety cover. I use 10% liquid chlorine and muriatic acid, and for the most part that's all that goes in (I do the other tests but haven't had much need to adjust anything else in a while).

I know I should trust my measurement but is this normal?

It doesn't seem too crazy to me. According to PoolMath, each gallon of liquid chlorine should add around 8 ppm salt to your pool. So 1200ppm would be 150 gallons of LC...it's more complicated with the winter draining of course.

My pool was at 2600ppm salt when I converted last year, which was about 3 years after our re-plaster.

Perfectly normal. 👍

Both chlorine and MA add salt. Also, fill water from the tap may also have some salt in it.

@Saturn94 @nobody291 Thanks. I knew LC and MA added some salt, and that I would have some I just didn't know that with as much draining/fresh refill I've had that it could be so high. That said, they use a ton of acid after the plaster job and circulate it for a say or so and brush it then they lower PH but the salt would remain.

Thanks again!

Do you have a water softener? I just converted and my salt started around 1kppm but I wasn't too surprised since it all goes through a water softener other than the rain.

Do you have a water softener? I just converted and my salt started around 1kppm but I wasn't too surprised since it all goes through a water softener other than the rain.
No water softener here. And I very rarely use make up water from the hose (well water).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.