Converting to salt or installing an inline chlorinator to use on vacations

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
We would like to do a lot of traveling this summer and were considering either getting an inline chlorinator installed to use when we are on vacations or convert to salt so we don't have to pay someone to add liquid chlorine to our pool while we are away. We'd like to put our solar cover over the pool to keep debris out so using a chlorine tablet floater on vacations won't work. Does anyone know how much it costs to add a tablet feeder to a pool, including installation costs and how much it costs to convert to salt, including installation costs? If we decided to add a tablet feeder to our pool to save money, how do we determine using pool math how many tablets we would need to keep our pool clear during a 7 day vacation or during a 3 day vacation, and how long we could use trichlor tablets before the CYA would get too high? Could cal-hypo tablets be used instead of trichlor tablets since our calcium level isn't too high or do they cost too much or don't work as well? If we got an inline chlorinator, can we use both chlorine tablets and liquid chlorine in our pool at the same time so we don't have to add as much liquid chlorine each day in our pool, if we stop using the tablets once the CYA gets too high or drain water out of our pool to lower the CYA?

Okay, so a few key things about your many questions. PG's estimate above may be close. Much depends on the model of SWG you purchase since many of them average around 1,400+ now just for the unit, plus the labor which can vary based on the tech you get and the amount of work required to plumb the SWG cell into the pipes and ensure electrical is available. A tab feeder will cost a few hundred dollars, but a tech won't have to mess with electrical.

Problem with tab feeders is if used frequently, they increase the CYA level in your pool which can be problematic. They are not good for all-season use, whereas SWGs are designed exactly for that purpose (with no side effects) and to save you the hassle of adding liquid chlorine.

As a side note, if you invest in a tab feeder, never combine different types of tabs (i.e. trichlor, cal-hypo). Not unless you want to see fireworks early this year.

If it were me, I'd go with an SWG, but everyone's needs (and budget) are different. Might help if you post some pics of your equipment pad so we can see the plumbing and how much room you have to work with. Also tell us if there is any additional electrical servicing nearby.

Reactions: al27 and mgtfp
Another thing to consider with inline feeders is your gas heater. When installed incorrectly or used wrongly, the acidity of the pucks can destroy your heater. And create a copper staining problem while doing so.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Most trichlor tabs are 8-10 oz
Here’s what that looks like in your pool volume
IMG_9772.png
For a couple week long vacations a year coupled with raising fc to slam level & deploying a cover this is no big deal to use 4 or 5 tabs but for extended or frequent vacations the increase in cya along with the added acidity can be quite the issue.

You have an 18k gal pool so you would want a swcg that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume (lets call it a 40k gal system)
With a swcg you are paying for years worth of chlorine up front so it is a bit expensive. With liquid chlorine being $5+ a gallon now this works out to actually be cheaper in the long run the bigger the pool is.
In the past when calculating the cost of swcgs I determined for my 25k gallon pool that it would be cheaper than bleach after 2.5 years- bleach was only $2.50/ gal at that time.
This was assuming a diy installation.

The other thing is that the swcg feeds your pool every day whether you are home or not- while the “not at home” part is what you’re concerned with today, it is quite enjoyable to not have to lug jugs & procure liquid chlorine hardly at all. I only need it at closing usually ir if I have a party. If you keep your pool open/running in the winter you will still need some for then too.

Edit:
I just did a little napkin math and a 40k rated extended life Hayward cell (if it lives 10k hours) will make approximately 4,078 fc in your pool - that is the equivalent of 734 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine.
Currently using pool essentials 10% @ $5.67/gal would cost $4161.78 before taxes & procurement costs.

Bottom line:
If you can swing it financially - go for a swcg- 40k rated or higher.

Reactions: mgtfp