Converting plex hose to pvc from pump to filter

PoolMomma112

Jul 23, 2023
Newport, NC
My 1.5 hp pentair pump went out on my AGP (metal). I have a sand dollar filter. I'm swapping out the pump with a Doheny 1.5 hp. The hose from the pump to filter also sprung a leak the other day so it's getting changed out too. The problem is, the threads on the hose don't match for the pump. We've looked everywhere and can't find an adapter to work. So we're considering converting the *pump to filter* hose to pvc.

Is 2" pvc fine, as is a 2" flex hose previously?

Can we just go straight up from the pump, install a 90 and go straight to the filter?

I know we need a disconnect in there as well. ;)

Any other tips besides - don't use purple to avoid looking like a crime scene?

PVC is far superior to hose.

You would want to use a primer, (purple, or clear, ) as it prepares the pipe to be solvent welded together.

Reactions: PoolMomma112
Yeah, I would advise clear primer, since if you have a mishap, you won’t be waiting days for your purple skin to fade. (Who, me?)

PVC! Go with clear primer and glue, get some unions for disconnects maybe even some shutoff valves to put on the skimmer and return. Our pool store plumbed our filter and neglected to put unions on anything (they did have a union on the SWG) even from the pump to the filter. We took care of that mistake. Our last pool had hoses and every so often they would provide a fountain show for me. Definitely PVC is so much better!

One thing to think about if you work on the connection from pump to filter is a check valve. These make sure water can only flow in one direction. That helps if you want to empty the pump basket because no water from the filter will flow back into the pump. This is more helpful with cartridge filters because they have no valves but you can still think about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.