Converting new pool to SWG - procedure/best practice needed

13 gallons of LC? That seems a lot. At that rate another month I didn’t need to add salt.. lol from what I read it’s about 16 ppm per gallon… so there’s some other mystery
Agreed that LC is not only source of salt, but many people are in disbelief of how much salt is added using LC and other chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there a salt calculator to raise the ppm to make the initial bulk purchase? I'm at 600 (salt meter) to 800 (Taylor kit) ppm. IC60 needs 3600 ppm for ideal amount. How many 40 pounds bag to go up 6x ppm?

Use poolmath. Go to settings and 'track salt'. Then it's a tab on the levels page. Enter your actual and your target and BOOM. (y)

Reactions: tradewinds
So, I need 8 bags. The discount starts at 6 bags. I plan to get 10. Should I get more? How often do I need to add (and is it several bags at a time) and does it store well?

So, I need 8 bags. The discount starts at 6 bags. I plan to get 10. Should I get more? How often do I need to add (and is it several bags at a time) and does it store well?
When the time comes to add salt, first test for salt again using the drop method that came with the test kit. Then use pool math to determine the amount of salt needed. Ensure SWCG is set to ZERO output. Add 80% of what is required, run pump continuously, brush the sides and bottom of pool to let it mix real well. Test after 24 to 36 hrs to ensure it all mixed. Then use pool math app to determine how much is needed to hit final target. Add and brush thouroughly. Test again after 24 hrs. if at right level turn on SWCG.

salt stores well so long as it is kept dry. I put mine in a plastic container with a top that you can purchase at Target or Walmart.

When the time comes to add salt, first test for salt again using the drop method that came with the test kit. Then use pool math to determine the amount of salt needed. Ensure SWCG is set to ZERO output. Add 80% of what is required, run pump continuously, brush the sides and bottom of pool to let it mix real well. Test after 24 to 36 hrs to ensure it all mixed. Then use pool math app to determine how much is needed to hit final target. Add and brush thouroughly. Test again after 24 hrs. if at right level turn on SWCG.

salt stores well so long as it is kept dry. I put mine in a plastic container with a top that you can purchase at Target or Walmart.
Thanks...but how often and how much salt is required after the initial target is achieve? Not sure if its a bag a month or a year to know how much to pre-buy for the discount?

You're going to basically need to treat the rainwater that accumulates. I need a bag or two during the season so you'll need 2 or 3 with more rain in that time. (y)

This is what PoolMath states when I use the feature to add a IC-60 SWG.
I'm SO glad you brought this point up. If your daily loss is around 2, you want 13% runtime on the cell per 24 hours. But the cell has 10% and 20%. Always choose the higher setting and adjust down once a week or however long it takes to overproduce enough to care.

I forget now which automation setups let you fine tune the %, but if yours does, allow some wiggle room. If Poolmath says 13, chose 17 and keep tabs on it until you're happy it's enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.