Converting from SWG to Chlorine pool?

Pool is looking good. My opinion the Suction cleaner doesn't work very well. The pool store will call me back when the robot is fixed. The new test results as of this morning at 0800.

Pool Temp: 76
FC: 22.5
CC: .5
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 180
CYA: 55
CSI: -0.23

concern about the CH reading. I have some Calcium Hardness Up from my pool that I have never had to use, about 6lb. PoolMath telling me to add 258oz. = 16lb. If I can bring the CH to 300, that will bring the CSI to -0.4.
What would be the best chemical to add at this point?

Thanks, John

If you CSI is now -.23, adding CH will raise it, so not sure how you think it would make it -0.4 :scratch:

I would not bother to raise the CH, just keep the pH a little higher and the CSI will be fine.

Thanks Jason,

I see what your saying. In poolmath if I keep CH at 180 and move PH to 7.8 then CSI to -0.4..

But if you see, I could leave PH at 7.6 and move CH to the middle of target 300 (limit:250-350) and still get the results of CSI -0.4 by adding 16 lbs of Calcium Chloride. AM I Wrong here:cool: I like your ideal better, i don't have to add any calcium. Just let PH drift up by itself or add 15 oz. of soda ash. WHERE DO GET SODA ASH?

THANKS, JASON

I am still missing how adding CH or raising the pH is LOWERING the CSI to -0.4 from -0.23 ... that is not possible. So maybe the -0.23 is a typo???

The pH will rise on its own ... speed it up by aerating. Or go buy washing soda or borax if you want to raise it faster.

sorry Jason,

The typo is the CSI: -0.4 The correction is CSI: -0.04. So if I raise CH to 300, the CSI: -0.04.
But I will monitor the PH for him and see if it raises to 7.8 and stabilizes to bring CSI: -0.04. But I'm going to have to raise CH to get to the middle CSI target if PH stabilizes at 7.6. I don't think we should keep CH at 180 if CSI: is going to be around -0.23.

What do you think:cool:

Thanks, John

I think that PoolMath says that anything between -0.6 and +0.6 is fine.

I am not sure I would have a problem with -0.4 ... in fact wish I could easily keep it around there to avoid scaling in the SWG.

They are not limits, they are recommendations. If you stay in the recommendations, your CSI would be fine (most people never even look at CSI). But there are special cases, where I think looking at the CSI is needed ... high CH is one of them. And in yours and my climate, I too refilled and did not add any CH even though it was 130ppm ... I kept my pH a little higher to compensate. Now over a year later, the CH is 320 just from evaporation.

Thank you, I like the recommendations terminology better, I will just let the PH increase. Pool looking good, I will send picture later. BTW, I think that's pretty cool that Robertson pool loans (not rent) their Polaris 9300 robot cleaner out. The pool store owner is trying to fix it now as we speak. Hopefully I can use it before friends come back from there vacation. But there suction cleaner is working a little bit better, but to make it work better I have to close the main drain and close the skimmer valve half way.

Recommendation to my friend about the pump house. Run filter system for 5 hrs. then run suction cleaner for 2 hrs. Since he can't run the cleaner fully with the drain & skimmer valves full open. What do you think:confused:

Looking better:) Since the CC is 0, I will clean the cartridge filter tomorrow to get rid of that algae.
DawsonPool003_zpscd01a8b1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You asked about how to run the pump 24/7. You just need to loosen up the screw on the "OFF" finger and remove it from the timing wheel.

That or move it to something like 7pm, 8, 9 ... and remember to go out a little after 7 each evening and turn it back on manually.

Thanks,

I did figure that out yesterday, but I removed both tabs ON/OFF. Guess I should only removed the OFF.

Thanks, John

I'm going to run all night and all day tomorrow. After I wash the cartridges, I will install the tabs.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,

I did figure that out yesterday, but I removed both tabs ON/OFF. Guess I should only removed the OFF.

Thanks, John

I'm going to run all night and all day tomorrow. After I wash the cartridges, I will install the tabs.

I was soooo close :) Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
Those tabs are something you can buy separately should you want to add another cycle.

Nice looking pool, like the water jets on the higher wall.

If you use that manual control much I'd really consider something like a chunk of milk carton or something equally non conductive to make a cover/flap/protector to cover the terminals and exposed wires in that timer box. You're missing one that should be in there. Being it's 240 volt it could be a pretty rude awakening should you be reaching for that lever and miss !!
And you would surely want to shut off the breaker if you were in there fitting an insulator over the terminals !!

Thanks for the info, maybe tomorrow while I wash the filters I will look at covering those terminals. The owner did tell me to watch my fingers in there. HE MUST OF GOT SHOCK:eek:

Jhieger: Its going very well considering a 20 yr. pool. I think they will be impressed when they get home. I'm hiding the pucks and putting bleach in there chemical storage unit:p it is balancing like we like it.

I'm hiding the pucks and putting bleach in there chemical storage unit:p

I don't know what happens to people that they get so entrenched in Pool Store maintenance. In most cases they don't even understand what it is they're adding or why they're adding it other then the guy at the pool store said to. I watched that happen to an older lady today. I wanted to offer to come over and help her.
Worst part is they'll complain about the cost of maintaining their pool but when you try to show them a cheaper easier way to do it, "that's not going to work".

Thanks for the info on that plastic piece for the timer. Went by the pool store and bought one for $5. My buddy will appreciate that, he got shocked a couple of times.

I have another issue, posted in a different topic (pump station). But, I cleaned the cartridge filter today. I'm not getting any water flow from top of air release valve when open, just air. Had it open for approx. 1 hr. NO WATER FLOW! When I close the air valve, I get 10 psi on gauge and good flow out of returns with no air bubbles.

Its that normal not to get any water flow from air release valve? On my pool I get water flow from top of DE filter housing within 2 min.

My dad was an electrician and in the summer I'd go out on jobs with him. I went to school for it but never followed it through so I know more than enough to get myself in trouble !! It's part stupidity, part lazy and a good part hubris but I'll work on a 120 circuit live if it's much trouble to turn off. As long as I'm in a dry area. Been bit a number of times haven't learned. 240 ... I find the breaker no matter what.

I have a sand filter but my bleed valve always spits water/air at me for a while, half minute to a couple minutes before I get a solid stream out of it. Open for an hour and no flow, I'm thinking something is plugged.
The problem I would see is that the cartridge might have an air bubble and that bubble would keep that part of the filter cartridge from doing any filtering. If it's half full of air, only half the filter is actually filtering water. When you have the bleed valve open can you hear air hissing out ?? Have you tried to take it all the way out ?? Have you checked the valve itself to see if some crud is jammed in the air passage ??

Ok, thanks Jason. I'll get back with you. He's going on a trip next week, we are house sitting for one week. Maybe I will surprise him with a clean pool using the TFPC method.
John

Looking better:) Since the CC is 0, I will clean the cartridge filter tomorrow to get rid of that algae.
DawsonPool003_zpscd01a8b1.jpg

WOW! What a great friend and a very beautiful pool!

May I suggest that you not leave bleach in a hot storage shed. It will degrade. If it's not hot then disregard but I hope to see an update and maybe a pic of the looks on their faces when they get to see the pool for the first time! It's amazing what a few days and a good solid plan can achieve! I hope with this you have converted them from the Pool Store to TFPC! Make sure you give them TFP's address, the link to this thread and hopefully, they can purchase their own TF100 at TFtestkits.net! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.