Converting from Chlorine to SWG - do I need to seal stone coping & waterfall first?

TexasToast

Jul 13, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m in the process of switching over from chlorine to a SWG. I’ve seen conflicting info about the need to seal stone before making this type of transition. I’ve got flagstone coping & a moss rock waterfall - is it recommended to treat these surfaces to prevent degradation from the salt, and if so, what product is suggested?

No sealing required. I converted a couple years ago and while our fairly cheap coping is about 15 years old, there is no changes evident since installing the SWCG. And just to clarify, your pool will *still* be sanitized with chlorine, but it will be generated with your salt water CHLORINE generator. ;)

Chances are you already have a fair amount of salt in your pool already. Depending upon what you've been using to chlorinate, some non-saltwater pools already have 2000 ppm of salt. Liquid chlorine adds some salt with every gallon.

No sealing required. I converted a couple years ago and while our fairly cheap coping is about 15 years old, there is no changes evident since installing the SWCG. And just to clarify, your pool will *still* be sanitized with chlorine, but it will be generated with your salt water CHLORINE generator. ;)
Good to know, thank you! And yes, I know.😉

Chances are you already have a fair amount of salt in your pool already. Depending upon what you've been using to chlorinate, some non-saltwater pools already have 2000 ppm of salt. Liquid chlorine adds some salt with every gallon.
I did not know this, thank you! I’ve been using 10.5% liquid sodium hypo from Pinch-a-Penny for the past year or so. Was planning on picking up around 12 40lb bags of salt to get it started, but now I’ll test first to see how much is already there. You just saved me from having to buy & inevitably store more salt than needed, thx!

Reactions: jeffchap
I have a LOT of flagstone with cement coping. The flagstone near the pool and on other side of the property all weathers and fails the same way. If I were you, I’d not worry about it. The enemy is water; not salt.

Reactions: TexasToast
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.