Convert to SWG

mkohr

Mar 18, 2015
Lebanon, PA
I currently have a plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. I have been using the TFP method going on three years with outstanding success.
I currently use liquid chlorine injected with a stenner pump. I am considering switching to a SWG looking for a recomnedation on equipment as well as what i need to do for the conversion.

Just cause I have to ask - are you having issues with Stenner system or just tired of lugging bottles?

I would recommend an AquaRite w/ a T-15 cell. It is rated for 40,000 gallon pool so meets the recommended oversizing of 1.5 - 3 times your pool volume. This will help keep your pump run time to a reasonable level. Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

As for the conversion - just install equipment and add salt. Do be sure to test your salt before you add any as liquid chlorine does add salt. Mine was almost 1000 ppm's at the start of my conversion. There was a more detailed list compiled, I'll see if I can find that and share.

We recommend sizing the SWG for 1.5-3x the size of your pool. So a 40k SWG cell would be a minimum. Hayward caps out at 40k, while Pentair and others go to larger cells.

In PA, I am thinking that a 40K might be sufficient.

There really is not much in the way of conversion. You will want to test your salt level, add more salt. Raise the CYA level up. And fire up the SWG.

Just cause I have to ask - are you having issues with Stenner system or just tired of lugging bottles?

I would recommend an AquaRite w/ a T-15 cell. It is rated for 40,000 gallon pool so meets the recommended oversizing of 1.5 - 3 times your pool volume. This will help keep your pump run time to a reasonable level. Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

As for the conversion - just install equipment and add salt. Do be sure to test your salt before you add any as liquid chlorine does add salt. Mine was almost 1000 ppm's at the start of my conversion. There was a more detailed list compiled, I'll see if I can find that and share.

FYI (not sure if breaking rules) but amazon has this for about $75 less. bought it last night and excited to get started.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-AQR1...?ie=UTF8&qid=1497551463&sr=8-1&keywords=aqr15

The main reason i was considering the switch is lugging bottles and saving dollars.
My stenner pump system works great.
One issue i have been having is high chlorine usage 1 gallon of 12.5% daily.
I ordered replacement CYA testing supplies because i was out. To find out that my CYA is almost non existent.
How does it go from 35-40 PPM from one seasn to almost ZERO?
Anyway adding Cynauric Acid tonight to brig that level back up.
I also am always chasing high PH and i assume that is due to the use of the liquid chlorine.
i CAN USE A GALLON OF ACID PER WEEK!

i am always on top of my level ... try to keep FC to 1-3 PPM
TA 90
CH 250
PH off the chart! almost always

SWCG will increase your pH rise. Liquid chlorine has a zero net effect on pH in a pool.

Take care.

Aeration? Waterfalls, bubblers, etc. They drive pH up.

Your TA is a bit high, could try lowering that. What TA and pH is your fill water? I am sure you are having some evaporation during the summer.

Good Luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.