Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My warranty will up soon on my Polaris cleaner and once it is , I am done with it. If I switch to the Dolphin is it a similar set up where I’ll need a Dolphin booster pump etc? Will the current wall connection inside the pool have to be changed or is that universal ?

6x,

The only Dolphin I am familiar with is a line of low voltage robots.. If that is the Dolphin you are looking at, no water is used to run it..

If not, how about posting a pic of the unit you are thinking about getting and we can get you some better feedback.

Thanks,

Jim R.

6x,

The only Dolphin I am familiar with is a line of low voltage robots.. If that is the Dolphin you are looking at, no water is used to run it..

If not, how about posting a pic of the unit you are thinking about getting and we can get you some better feedback.

Thanks,

Jim R.
You’ve already told me more than I knew about it. I guess I need to look on their website and get a better idea.

6x,

Thanks,

Jim R.
So it’s literally as simple as plugging it into an outlet near the pool? So I won’t need any real conversion to a new unit?

6x,

Check out this review of a Dolphin and a new robot called the EVO... Not so much the words, but the pics will give you and idea of what a robot looks like.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Correct - no connection to plumbing. Considerably less electrical requirement than running that booster - a real cost saver.
Expect 2-3 years of life, if used regularly, and anything more is a bonus.

6x,

There is no doubt that robots are not for everyone. A lot depends on what you want it to do...

Tell us why you do not like your current pressure side cleaner?

What do you expect the robot to do, that your current cleaner will not do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

6x,

There is no doubt that robots are not for everyone. A lot depends on what you want it to do...

Tell us why you do not like your current pressure side cleaner?

What do you expect the robot to do, that your current cleaner will not do.

Thanks,

Jim R.
my polaris is 3 years old and seems to be on the decline. It constantly gets stuck in a corner and up against steps. It’s def lost power. I know I can replace some parts and probably get it going again. I’m also on my 3rd booster pump because of a well known issue with a bad gasket.
I’m hoping a robot will be able
to work it’s way of corners better and climb better. If also looks like it scrubs as it goes?

The robot DEFINITELY won't chew through booster pumps. Or their spendy electricity when they are actually working instead of breaking. That by itself is huge.

Are there any limitations to a robot or any model I’d want to avoid or get for my 18x36 kidney shaped gunite pool? Anything that struggles with turning itself around after finding steps or climbing the wall I’d want to avoid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6x,

Robots won't climb steps (Maybe the bottom one) and they won't clean tanning ledges, but they will clean the floors and climb walls and scrub as they go.

I am a big robot fan.. I have three pools and they each have a robot. My two rent house pools have Dolphin robots that stay in the pool 24/7 unless the tenants take them out to swim. At my house I only put the robot in about two or three times a week.

I like the new EVO better than my older Dolphins, but in the big picture they all work about the same.

If you plan to leave the robot in the pool, and let it run on a schedule, the you'd need an S200 "style" Dolphin. If you plan to only put it in the pool when you want it to clean, then I would recommend the EVO.

If you decide to go with a robot, then you should contact Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa. Best advice, Best price, free 2 day shipping and no tax.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

You can't buy it over the intenet. You have to 'talk' with them by phone or e-mail so that it counts as a local sale.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
6x,

Robots won't climb steps (Maybe the bottom one) and they won't clean tanning ledges, but they will clean the floors and climb walls and scrub as they go.

I am a big robot fan.. I have three pools and they each have a robot. My two rent house pools have Dolphin robots that stay in the pool 24/7 unless the tenants take them out to swim. At my house I only put the robot in about two or three times a week.

I like the new EVO better than my older Dolphins, but in the big picture they all work about the same.

If you plan to leave the robot in the pool, and let it run on a schedule, the you'd need an S200 "style" Dolphin. If you plan to only put it in the pool when you want it to clean, then I would recommend the EVO.

If you decide to go with a robot, then you should contact Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa. Best advice, Best price, free 2 day shipping and no tax.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

You can't buy it over the intenet. You have to 'talk' with them by phone or e-mail so that it counts as a local sale.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for this info! Evo sounds like what I want. I would just drop it in a few times per week.

When your Polaris was working correctly were you satisfied with the performance? Robot performance is far from perfect and the longevity is similar to your pressure cleaner when used for comparable time periods. I am satisfied with my current robot but it is far from perfect and I dread the day when I have to drop a grand to replace it. I’m not condemning robots but if you already have the setup for a pressure cleaner and are happy with the performance, a robot cleaner is not a magic bullet in my opinion.

@Hootz,

I wonder if some of that is because you have a vinyl pool? I only say that because it seems to me that most of the complaints about how well they work, come from members with vinyl pools.

I have three gunite saltwater pools that all have robots. Two are kidney shaped and one is rectangular. In all three of them, if I have a single leave in the pool, the robot will capture it on the first pass, 90% of the time and 100% on the second pass. From my perspective, that is about as perfect as you can get. I am always amazed at the stuff it picks up when the pool already looks and feels clean.

That said, there are two sides to every story and I agree that robots are not for everyone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Hootz,

I wonder if some of that is because you have a vinyl pool? I only say that because it seems to me that most of the complaints about how well they work, come from members with vinyl pools.

I have three gunite saltwater pools that all have robots. Two are kidney shaped and one is rectangular. In all three of them, if I have a single leave in the pool, the robot will capture it on the first pass, 90% of the time and 100% on the second pass. From my perspective, that is about as perfect as you can get. I am always amazed at the stuff it picks up when the pool already looks and feels clean.

That said, there are two sides to every story and I agree that robots are not for everyone.

Thanks,

Jim R.
As we all know, different pools produce different results. I would not trade my robot for the Kreepy Krawly I previously had or for manual vacuuming. I just have come to realize that robot cleaners are seldom repairable; they are an expendable item and expensive to replace. Pressure cleaners are old school but repair parts are readily available for those that don’t mind tinkering. I would consider keeping one in service if my pool was already set up and was happy with the performance. I realize not everyone wants something else to maintain but I am a fixer as my careers always involved troubleshooting and repair.

Reactions: Newdude
Hootz,

Sorry, I thought you were not happy with the way it worked in your pool.. I could not agree more about the fact that they are almost considered "expendable"..

I think of them just like I do a SWCG.. Use it until it dies, and then buy another one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.