conversion to SWG?

My uncle had a saltwater pool, but converted it to chlorine about 5 years ago. Back then, I didn't know as much about water chemistry. I don't know about the acid demand and chemicals they had to use. He did say he didn't care for it because it corroded the flagstone coping and the patio furniture. The generator also didn't last as long as he thought it should have. For those reasons and recommendation from my builder, I went with chlorine. I did enjoy the feel of the water on my skin in their pool and the lack of chlorine burn in my eyes though. There's a good chance he didn't know as much as he could have or should have.

Acid addition with SWG will vary widely. I have to add some acid every few weeks, vs adding chlorine daily. If you already have a problem with rising pH, then adding a SWG may add to that. Controlling any sources of aeration and lowering TA will help stabilize pH. If it's still an issue, there's always borates.

I had a pool without SWG, before I built this one. I would NEVER go back! If my entire SWG system blew up, I would buy a new one immediately. For me, a pool without a SWG is unthinkable.

Archer,

Depending on the time of the year and how hard my SWCG is working, I add acid one a week worst case and often once every several weeks.

If you try to maintain a pH of 7.2 in a SWCG pool it will constantly try to get back up to 7.7 or 7.8. I let my pH "rest" at 7.8 and it will often stay there for several weeks.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Have any of you had to replace your chlorine generator in your salt water pools?

Sure, that's how you pay for your chlorine with a SWG. A cell will only produce a finite quantity of chlorine before it is exhausted and must be replaced. I'm using the Hayward AQR 15 and a new cell runs about $400. My cells seem to last around 6 years on average. That makes my average chlorine cost about $67 per year ($400/6=66.67), for a 19,000 gallon pool, with a ton of sunshine, in middle of a desert, that is open year-round.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Acid addition with SWG will vary widely. I have to add some acid every few weeks, vs adding chlorine daily. If you already have a problem with rising pH, then adding a SWG may add to that. Controlling any sources of aeration and lowering TA will help stabilize pH. If it's still an issue, there's always borates.

I had a pool without SWG, before I built this one. I would NEVER go back! If my entire SWG system blew up, I would buy a new one immediately. For me, a pool without a SWG is unthinkable.

what factors impact acid demand? I used to have to add a lot of acid until I lowered TA to 60-70 and it stablized the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.