Control Whisperflo VST pump speed with 24V Jandy Solar valve current??

rich po

Aug 21, 2021
My (ancient) solar pool controller has a 24V output to open/close a Jandy valve to direct the water to the solar panels when the sensors for pool/air show heat is available. 3-wire output - common, and a line to open and close the valve. I put my VOM on the terminals and confirmed it is sending 24-30 VAC to one or the other line as the valve opens and closes. My goal is to tap the RS-485 leads from the Whisperflo onto the valve terminals to direct it to go to higher speed when solar panels is open and lower speed when panel is closed. Has anyone tried such a thing before?? The Whisperflo manual implies this is doable, just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it before. My only glitch is that during the 3 seconds when the valve is in motion it I read current in both lines, then when the valve comes to rest position the 'unused' line powers down to 0 V and the 'used' line maintains the current. Not sure how the Whisperflo would interpret getting signals on 2 channels.

Rich,

The only thing that connecting your 24 Volts AC to the RS-485 pins will do is blow up the RS-485 chips in the pump.

I suspect that you want to connect your 24 Volts AC to the control connector, but not the RS-485 pins..

Many have used the "External Inputs" with great success.

You will need cable P/N 356324Z

Since you will only have one input, you would use one of the "Speed Control" inputs, which except 5 to 30 Volts AC or DC. And the common ground pin..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

The only thing that connecting your 24 Volts AC to the RS-485 pins will do is blow up the RS-485 chips in the pump.

I suspect that you want to connect your 24 Volts AC to the control connector, but not the RS-485 pins..

Many have used the "External Inputs" with great success.

You will need cable P/N 356324Z

Since you will only have one input, you would use one of the "Speed Control" inputs, which except 5 to 30 Volts AC or DC. And the common ground pin..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your reply - I wasn't clear, yes, I would be using the leads from the control cable not directly to the socket pins and connecting as per the External Input diagram. I'm now thinking of moving to the Intelliflo3 VSF for the power to raise the water to the second story solar panels at a lower RPM, so it would be a very different automation I believe. Reading the Whisperflo manual it looks easy to do, just concerned how the pump would read having inputs at both speeds for the 3 seconds it takes the valve to closw and end signal to the unused leg.

Thanks for the feedback. I just made the decision to move up to the Intelliflo3 VSF since my solar panels are on top of a second story roof and I was concerned I would have to run the Whisperflo near a max speed to get the water up to the roof. I figure the I'll be running the Intelliflo3 much lower than the Whisperflo, but will have to research how to let the pump 'know' the panels are opening and requiring the higher speed. Perhaps the Intelliflo3 can accept similar external inputs or a newer solar controller may be in my future...... In reading the Intellflo3 manual, choices are to get a new solar controller like SolarTouch that communicates with pump over rs-485 data lines (except another post here says there is a firmware glitch on the pump that doesn't understand the data signals, Pentair is working on required firmware update with no known release date over the air) OR buy the I/O board for about $180 which has the other data pins and hope the voltage triggers from the pins on the old controller that power Jandy valve circuit will work.

Last edited:
Rich,

I admit that I have not done a lot of looking at the IntelliFlo3's relay cards, but I'm pretty sure they are output orientated and have no ability for input control signals.. No doubt that I could be wrong, but it would be a good idea to double check..

Thanks,

Jim R.

1696104714633.png
Rich,

I admit that I have not done a lot of looking at the IntelliFlo3's relay cards, but I'm pretty sure they are output orientated and have no ability for input control signals.. No doubt that I could be wrong, but it would be a good idea to double check..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Image and text from installation guide, looks very similar to Whisperflo inputs from cable: 5-30VAC signals. Just not sure if I want to buy board and send inputs to pump, not knowing how the controller will respond or risking frying the onboard board or optional IO board. The old system to power the Jandy valve may not trim voltage tight enough for digital input. The only real advantage is having the pump run at higher speed only when valve to panels are open, versus risking screwing up the onboard system.

"Relay Control Board Digital Inputs
If the optional Relay Control Board Kit (P/N 356365z) is installed,
the board's digital inputs can be connected to an automation
system in order to control four customizable speed or flow
programs. If using digital inputs, schedules programmed via
the Pentair Home app or drive touchscreen must be deleted.
Note: If multiple external input triggers are received,
programs will follow the following priority: PROGRAM 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.

Rich,

My mistake.. I though you were trying to use the two relays to change speeds.. :scratch:

I thought the low voltage inputs were included in the basic pump, without the relay card, but it appears that is not the case.. Kind of makes sense as 99% of the users will never use the low voltage speed inputs.

Thanks for the update,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.