Contract phase questions

Anyone know if builders typically cover the cost of diverter valves and unions or if we should expect to pay for those?
They should be included in your plumbing price but when in doubt ask.

Reactions: jodibug
Job
If you're going vs pump you'll need higher hp like 2.7 inorder to be the most efficient at lower rpms.
Sorry to hijack but this is surprising to me as well. I went with the 1.8 over the 2.7 hp for my circulation pump thinking it was more efficient. On the Jandy website it shows at 1750 RPM the 1.8 Hp VS pump using only .59 cents a day of electricity vs the 2.7 hp pump using 0.82 cents at the same Rpm. Is this not correct in real world usage? Im also currently contracted to use Hayward equipment but I figured the Jandy website was a good rule of thumb for all VS pumps.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but this is surprising to me as well. I went with the 1.8 over the 2.7 hp for my circulation pump thinking it was more efficient. On the Jandy website it shows at 1750 RPM the 1.8 Hp VS pump using only .59 cents a day of electricity vs the 2.7 hp pump using 0.82 cents at the same Rpm. Is this not correct in real world usage?
Here is the fallacy in what Jandy is comparing.

At 1750 rpm the 1.8 HP is putting out 0.9 HP.

At 1750 rpm the 2.7 HP pump is putting out 1.35 HP.

So 1.35 HP will require more electricity then 0.9 HP.

But if your pool needs 0.9 HP then you run the 2.7 pump at 1,150 RPM. 1,150 RPM on the 2.7 pump will use less electricity then 1750 RPM on the 1.8 pump while both give 0.9 HP.

Your pool does not need RPMs, it needs a specific HP flow.

Note, HP is not always linear but illustrate the equivalent numbers.

Here is the fallacy in what Jandy is comparing.

At 1750 rpm the 1.8 HP is putting out 0.9 HP.

At 1750 rpm the 2.7 HP pump is putting out 1.35 HP.

So 1.35 HP will require more electricity then 0.9 HP.

But if your pool needs 0.9 HP then you run the 2.7 pump at 1,150 RPM. 1,150 RPM on the 2.7 pump will use less electricity then 1750 RPM on the 1.8 pump while both give 0.9 HP.

Your pool does not need RPMs, it needs a specific HP flow.

Note, HP is not always linear but illustrate the equivalent numbers.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. For the ~300 dollar difference per pump I'm going ask the builder to make all of them 2.7 then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.