Jun 28, 2014
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I use 12.5% liquid chlorine and 31.45% muriatic acid for maintenance. I have been battling high PH and somewhat high TA for a year now and can’t get it down.

I moved in about a year ago and after testing the water the CYA was so high I couldn’t measure it. The TA was 180 and PH constantly reading at 8 using my Taylor Test kit however it could be higher since the reading tops at 8.0 ph. Since the CYA was so high, I decided to drain the pool, replace some lights, and refill. After refilling and getting my CYA to 40 my TA ranges from 120-140 however my PH is always reading 8 on the test kit. I add acid and chlorine every other day and it brings it down to 7.6 however 2 days go by and it’s right back to 8.0. I have a 20k gallon inground gunite pool and spa. The spa has a spillway that is only on (spilling over) for 30 minutes per day to chlorinate the spa. Reading here the high TA isn’t necessarily a problem however, is it normal to be adding acid every 2 days to bring the PH down for 1-2 days? I tried to add large amounts (1 gallon) tried to add what I am currently doing (1qt every other day) along with 3qts chlorine however the Ph always goes back up. What else can I do? Should I try dry acid? Should I not worry about it and just assume that’s part of my maintenance routine? This is the first house I have owned with a pool like this so just want to make sure this is normal. Water is clear, I get yellow algae spots on the shallow steps that I have to brush off 1x per week. Also guessing that’s part of the maintenance.

Thank you for your help!!

When the TA gets high, the pH tends to rise fast. If this was a new plaster pool, the pH would also rise fast for the first year or so.

There’s an article on here about lowering the TA, but essentially once the pH gets to 8.0, calculate how much acid is needed to bring it down to 7.2 and add it. Then test the pH an hour later and make sure it actually got down to 7.2. If you do that enough over time, the TA will come down to 50-60 and the pH rise will slow down.

Your fill water due to evaporation has a TA of 130 ppm if you are using Colorado River water. So that will consistently put pressure on the pH rising.

Yes, you have to add acid often with high TA fill water.

You should not get any algae. Be sure to follow the FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.