Aug 18, 2011
Arizona
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi,

long time member but now in AZ with a 2 month old SWG pool. I have been testing daily and have a good handle on FC but PH seems to go up daily. Here is a link to my Pool Math

PoolMath Logs

I TFP I maintained a 15k gallon pool in CA and now have a 7,650 gal SWP in AZ
Current readings include pump run time of 7 hrs with a split of cleaning and slow run time during daylight hours. IC40 set at 60%.

7650 gallons
FC 8
TA 110 (17 oz of liquid acid on 6/18)
CYA 85
PH 8
CH 400
SALT 3600

We are leaving for 10 days and do not have a backup plan for pool maintenance..

All advice is appreciated. I have dry and liquid Acid on hand. Maybe a pre-measured bag of dry Acid for a neighbor to pour in midway through our trip?

Last edited:
2 month old SWG pool
2 month old plaster. Your pH will rise with impunity for some time. Should slow down after 6 months or so,.
dry and liquid Acid
Never put dry acid in a pool with a SWCG, or a plaster pool. Sulfates build up and will destroy metals and degrade concrete (plaster).

I pre measure acid into an old acid bottle with markings. Dilute it so that each set of marks is what you would normally add. Have the neighbor pour it in with the pump running.

Might up date your signature. Thanks.

Your TA is high. Get it down to 60-70ppm and that should help. But as Marty said, the pool is still in its infancy. pH rise is going to be your chemical nemesis for quite some time

Reactions: PoolStored
I manage my pool with a CYA of 70-80. When I go on vacation, that CYA amount gives me a little buffer, so I can put a floater in with 2-3 Tri-chlor pucks. I also lower the SWG to down a little, since the the tabs will add chlorine and the PH will stay in check. The extra 2-6ppm of CYA do not cause any issues for my pool and I don't have to worry while I'm gone. I keep a small tub for vacation trips and for unforseen issues like power outages or if I have an equipment failure. Just don't get the ones with "blue" in the name.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.