Considering removing the FG pool and going with gunite (Austin area)

brandon#

May 23, 2020
Austin, TX
Long story short, I can’t stand looking at my pool. It’s a constant reminder of shoddy work done by both the pool installer and the deck constructor.

The pool installer used regular tile grout, and it’s all starting to crack and fall out. We stopped running the tanning ledge spillovers because we noticed we were losing significant amount of water where the grout was missing.

We also have 3 chips near the steps that will cost -$1k to fix.

We’ve received quotes for $3k to regrout or about $6k to retile.

The rear retaining wall recently developed a large crack, from the top stone caps to the bottom, and looks like the right side is starting to move.

Using travertine pavers for the deck was a huge mistake. They’ve moved around quite a bit during this drought. We have to add more polymeric ground about every 6 months.

I know these repair costs are minimal compared to removing and replacing the pool, but I think I’m done with it.

Considering I already have the equipment, plumbing ran and a hole in the ground, should I go DIY?

I assume I could sell the shell and recoup some (small amount) $.

Here’s the equipment I have:
Pentair versaflow
Pentair IntelliCenter
Pentair ultra temp 140
Pentair IC40 SWCG

IMG_3439.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story short, I can’t stand looking at my pool. It’s a constant reminder of shoddy work done by both the pool installer and the deck constructor.

The pool installer used regular tile grout, and it’s all starting to crack and fall out. We stopped running the tanning ledge spillovers because we noticed we were losing significant amount of water where the grout was missing.

We also have 3 chips near the steps that will cost -$1k to fix.

We’ve received quotes for $3k to regrout or about $6k to retile.

The rear retaining wall recently developed a large crack, from the top stone caps to the bottom, and looks like the right side is starting to move.

Using travertine pavers for the deck was a huge mistake. They’ve moved around quite a bit during this drought. We have to add more polymeric ground about every 6 months.

I know these repair costs are minimal compared to removing and replacing the pool, but I think I’m done with it.

Considering I already have the equipment, plumbing ran and a hole in the ground, should I go DIY?

I assume I could sell the shell and recoup some (small amount) $.

Here’s the equipment I have:
Pentair versaflow
Pentair IntelliCenter
Pentair ultra temp 140
Pentair IC40 SWCG
Totally up to you, but you’re going to need to add a wheelbarrow full of cash to that list to build a new pool. 😉

Your polymeric grout is a common issue with any kind of pavers, not just travertine. All the tile issues will be the same potential for issues on a new pool.

You can send that "piece of junk" to my backyard any day. Not minimizing your concerns, but thinking maybe you can tactically fix enough issues that you can go back to enjoying a stunning pool and backyard. :)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.