Considering changing from sand filter to cartridge filter.

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
I noticed there is now a cartridge filter system available for pools. I currently have an 8 year old standard sand filter, with original sand, and a new Pentair Superflow 1.1 HP pump purchased last year. The pool is only 2300 gallons. We like the strong flow of the water, but the sand filter is difficult for me to open and maintain. I thought the Doheny's Pool Pro Deluxe 200 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter only would be a cool replacement. The pool is basically an indoor pool, with two users, an hour a day, and there is simply not much to filter. With such a small pool back-washing is a problem, as you can easily loose an inch or two... So my question is, will the cartridge filter restrict the flow, equal to or less than the current sand filter? Are there any drawbacks, or negative aspects of a cartridge filter system that I'm not aware of? I would like to have equal or more flow with easier maintenance. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 29
  • pool-open-01.jpg
    pool-open-01.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 31
So I got the filter installed. I noticed a couple leaks, one on the face of the removable top part, and at the seam of the two pieces. There was no papers in the box. No users manual or anything. I noticed there is a single o-ring on the base, but there appears to be a place for two of them. I called Doheny's for help and was told I need to ship them this entire filter assembly and when they receive it they send my replacement. I asked the lady what was I going to use to filter my pool? She had no answer. I asked her if I purchase another filter, when will it arrive? She said tomorrow... Guess what I did!

Attachments

• a-plumbing-01.jpg
    a-plumbing-01.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 15
  • a-plumbing-02.jpg
    a-plumbing-02.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 16
  • a-plumbing-03.jpg
    a-plumbing-03.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 17
While you’re unable to run your pump be sure that you’re still keeping fc up. Brush while pouring liquid chlorine slowly. If you have a submersible pump you could throw in to circulate things that would be good or a robot cleaner. Otherwise just brush brush brush.

So I receive my second filter and am able to replace the defective part and keep my pool running. I receive a reply to my support email saying...

"Thank you for contacting Doheny's. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Kindly state the pictures of the original box from all six sides, and also let us know if you prefer a replacement or a refund. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us again."

I reply with an email with the requested pictures.

"Here are your requested photos. Please provide me with a full refund, and a prepaid shipping label for this defective unit. Thanks"

I then receive this...

"Thank you for contacting Doheny's. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please confirm which part is leaking, so that we may assist you further."

I reply with...

"PLEASE PROVIDE A COMPLETE REFUND AND PLEASE PROVIDE A PREPAID SHIPPING LABEL FOR THE RETURN."

Nothing back from them yet. Looks like I get to try and get my money back through paypal... What a bunch of Crud...

• Angry
Reactions: Texas Splash
Despicable Me Reaction GIF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad it’s all resolved!
Btw- If you’re ever without a pump or power etc. you can still just manually chlorinate daily by mixing it in well with a brush & brushing the entire pool, manually scooping debris.
Throwing in a submersible pump & or a robot is also helpful if you have that or have power.
Not ideal but will keep the pool from getting funky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.