Considering a new pool construction

3pfarms

Jun 23, 2023
Texas
We are strongly considering putting a pool for the family (3 elementary aged kids) and talked with one company on design and concepts. I have lived in a home with a pool, so I am in the process of learning as much as I can about the process. I hope to use this thread for questions and to document/show progress. First off, lots of questions:

We like the unique design and natural look of Biodesign pools. We looked at a home with one installed, but I am struggling to find much relevant to the this type of pool construction on forums. Does anyone have any thoughts or resources on these types of pools? Any positive or negative experiences?

We have a concept drawn up below with rough estimates on size to show a 10k gallon pool w/ 527 ft2 surface area. This includes one water feature, no spa, and it will be a chlorine + mineral water pool (this is what biodesign uses). We are torn on the layout. The current version, shown below, has the deep end in the middle of the pool. This would allow the kids to play valley ball or some other games across the pool. The other option would be to have a traditional layout with the deeper at the end of the pool, opposite of the beach. Current "deep" is only 5 ft. Anyone have preferences on layout and depths based on how their pool gets used?

I am going to ask for specifics equipment models, but as a starting point, this was listed under "standard pool equipment" in the contract:
Main Pump: Pentair Variable Speed 3hp Pump
Filter: Pentair Commercial Sand with Glass – sized for pool
Blower: 1 HP Blower
Cleaner: BTW 600 Robot Cleaner
Control Box: Pentair Automation – Easytouch 4
Remotes: Iphone or Android
Sanitizers: Inline chlorinator and mineral cartridge

Any thoughts on design, equipment, or technical specs.

Attachments

• depths.JPG
    depths.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 58
  • pool layout.jpg
    pool layout.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 60
Looks like nice design! I haven't built a pool so can't comment on that aspect but can provide some general feedback on some of the Equipment.

Cleaner: I'd want to see pricing, the model referenced looks like a standard Robot style if I'm not mistaken, so it's not something that would need to be purchased with the build if there is a premium on the product.
Control Box: I think the Easytouch is the older technology. I'd want to see a few options for upgrading this because you're not going to do it after the install anytime soon.
Remotes: Phone controls is probably fine, I think the physical remotes themselves are pretty pricy. That said I have no idea how a guest would control my pool if I'm not around so might be worth considering. You could probably get a tablet with the App to leave behind for cheaper, but there is something to be said about simplicity.
Sanitizers: The inline chlorinator is going to be an issue since I'm assuming it uses tablets/pucks and isn't a Liquid Chlorine pump. Over time CYA/Calcium is going to build up in the pool (depending on what is used for Chlorination) and you're going to need to drain water to correct this issue. I've also read of quite a few people who's builders put in inline chlorination and as soon as they took over the maintenance and understood it better they stopped using it and just added liquid chlorine, which is a waste of money for unused equipment. A Salt Water Generator would be highly recommended for a low maintenance and easy to maintain chemical balancing system.

I like their ideas and designs. They do look very neat that is for sure. Saying that there is a down side to the beaches. You lose a lot of useable pool with them. You can swim on them and the swimmable areas are smaller to allow for the slope of the beach.

Current "deep" is only 5 ft.
5' is not a purrfect depth to me. Here is my reasoning. I am 5'5". As such 5' of water hits me around my chin. I find if very uncomfortable to stand in 5' of water as it ends up in my mouth or up my nose. You can't do cannon balls in 5' of water as you will hit your butt and hit it hard so could not be done. Oh that makes me think about the design.................there would be no cannon balls :( something everyone loves to do in a pool.
Here is some reading for you about minerals and such in a pool:

I’ve never heard of bioguard but their designs look very nice. I’m concerned about their sanitation. Are they willing to install a traditional salt water chlorine generator (SWG), or do they force you to use their system? I would never own a pool in TX without a SWG.

Have you contacted traditional gunite/concrete pool contractors and asked if they do a similar look?

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't beleive we are forced to use their system so a SWG might be installed. We would prefer a salt water system. We searched the internet to try to figure out if anyone had put a SWG in with one of their pools, but we haven't been able to find any user experiences with a traditional setup, much less a SWG setup. If anyone knows of a thread on here w/ one of these pools, that would be extremely helpful.

I appreciate feedback on depths, becuase we are torn on this as well. @kimkats are you suggesting that 5' is in the middle of functional depths and therefore we either need to go shallower or go deeper?

suggesting that 5' is in the middle of functional depths and therefore we either need to go shallower or go deeper?
You nailed it......................go 4'5" if you want to be able to walk in the whole pool and still be able to play volley ball or Watermelon Ball (BEST water game out there)

OR go to at least 6' to allow cannon balls and such fun.

Now the hard part...........picking which one to do LOL

Reactions: newbie919
We are strongly considering putting a pool for the family (3 elementary aged kids) and talked with one company on design and concepts. I have lived in a home with a pool, so I am in the process of learning as much as I can about the process. I hope to use this thread for questions and to document/show progress. First off, lots of questions:

We like the unique design and natural look of Biodesign pools. We looked at a home with one installed, but I am struggling to find much relevant to the this type of pool construction on forums. Does anyone have any thoughts or resources on these types of pools? Any positive or negative experiences?

We have a concept drawn up below with rough estimates on size to show a 10k gallon pool w/ 527 ft2 surface area. This includes one water feature, no spa, and it will be a chlorine + mineral water pool (this is what biodesign uses). We are torn on the layout. The current version, shown below, has the deep end in the middle of the pool. This would allow the kids to play valley ball or some other games across the pool. The other option would be to have a traditional layout with the deeper at the end of the pool, opposite of the beach. Current "deep" is only 5 ft. Anyone have preferences on layout and depths based on how their pool gets used?

I am going to ask for specifics equipment models, but as a starting point, this was listed under "standard pool equipment" in the contract:
Main Pump: Pentair Variable Speed 3hp Pump
Filter: Pentair Commercial Sand with Glass – sized for pool
Blower: 1 HP Blower
Cleaner: BTW 600 Robot Cleaner
Control Box: Pentair Automation – Easytouch 4
Remotes: Iphone or Android

Any thoughts on design, equipment, or technical specs.
Why so shallow? We settled on 6’6 max as teenage son said it would hamper play in the pool if it was any deeper. Kids will grow. Our kids in elementary school were already diving and very good swimmers thanks to summer camp counselors. Kids will grow and this is a lifetime investment. Just curious as I am mid build on fiberglass pool.

We settled on 6’6 max as teenage son said it would hamper play in the pool if it was any deeper.
Kids adapt far better than adults. They will find ways to play with whatever is in front of them.

If the pool is deep, 'playing' will be diving and racing to the bench.

If the pool is shallow, 'playing' will be volleyball/basketball.

Food for thought @3pfarms. And Welcome !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.