Confusion, please help

I've previously had an Intex pool and have used the TFP method for two years and that pool stayed clear from beginning of season to end. We even left it up last winter for the first time, it was still clear in May (I live in WV). Previously using pool store numbers and suggestions my pool was cloudy by august. BUT moving forward to this August when we moved to a new house with a regular AG pool (no more Intex For us!)lol. When we moved in the pool was crystal clear. The previous owner used pool pucks,shock and algaecide. We'll, here comes the confusion....when I tested our new pool it wouldn't even register PH (no color change), TA turned pink, not green, the CYA was 80. We were in the process of moving and I didn't have what I needed so I used the owners PH up. Yeah, yeah, I'm bad. Still nothing. So I used borax and baking soda to raise it and my TA & PH are better now. Pool is super cloudy. The CYA is now 100+.
I know I need to replace water but can someone explain why the pool was so crystal clear when the owner was taking care of it. My husband was a believer this spring when we opened the Intex pool to clear water. But now he just thinks I caused this mess and should go back to what the previous owner was doing! Help! Lol

I fixed the signature for you, not sure why it wouldn't save for you unless you were trying to do it on your phone (Taptalk) which is problematic.

Why ask why? You already show you know what to do and we moving in the right direction.

Get the CYA down and move forward.

Or, tell you husband that as he knows so much let him handle it.....

I would suppose a lucky combination of chemistry values allowed it to be 'clear'. At that time.

But - would you like to swim in acidic water that is not sanitary? Not me. Even if it was clear.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.