Confused and need help.

Jun 21, 2016
northeast, Pa
I am located in northeast pa. Ok. We had a 27ft round above ground pool that came with the house and has since needed to be removed. So now we had gotten a 16' x 48" vinyl pool and decided to try a swg due to a 7 month old grandchild along with our younger children. We were told it woukd be better for their skin.
Anyway... the pool was assembled last week and filled with well water. It was clear with a green tone to it. I did turn on the filter befor I added the salt... actually just to be sure there wasn't any leaks. The water stayed the same color of course. I added the salt and conectect the swg. It stayed the same. I was told to add 1 bag of shock which i did and the water turned brown. I tested and it said i need to add stablizer, ph up, more salt, ph protect for the alkaline increaser, calcium hardness increaser, metal and scale stain control. It turned back to the original green. T i added more of the metal, scale stain again ( as I was told) I was really hoping to be able to use the pool this weekend. For all of the kids. But it doesnt seem to look like it will happen. Please help.. I read everything i could and am at a loss. Thank you.

Last edited:
The brown and green are just iron in the water. Ugly but not toxic.

If you have a skimmer, layer some paper towels in it to capture any precipitating Iron. See the picture: A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

It's a shame you didn't post about it as soon as it happened. We could have saved you adding a lot of expensive stuff to your pool.... vinyl pools don't need Calcium, Alkalinity Increaser is just baking soda you can get dirt cheap at the grocery store, etc.

Polyester pillow stuffing or quilt batting also makes nice Iron filters. Use the search box up above for Iron and you'll find lots of threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So any of those test kits would be appropriate for me? Which one woukd you recomend? I dont want to have to get another any time soon. Also if yiu run out of something in the kit di yiu need to purchase a whole nother kit or can you replace parts of it?

So any of those test kits would be appropriate for me? Which one woukd you recomend? I dont want to have to get another any time soon. Also if yiu run out of something in the kit di yiu need to purchase a whole nother kit or can you replace parts of it?
The TF100 has the most realistically sized bottles of reagents. The K series goes for consistent bottle size regardless of which ones get used most. You can buy refills for any of the tests.

I use a TF100 and a speedstir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.