Mar 20, 2021
Georgetown, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning pool people!

I am so thankful I found this site. I wish it had been sooner before I got myself into this pickle! I am hopeful that I will eventually find my way out of this and get to experience the joys and ease of a properly balanced pool, but I think I need help getting there!

Our D36 River Pools fiberglass pool was finished being installed almost exactly one year ago. I went into the process as researched as I possibly could after reading everything I could find online, which as well all know is a very difficult place to find non bias information on everything. Originally I wanted a salt water system, as our kids both have very sensitive skin, and our son is extremely sensitive to ALL chemicals. I wanted to healthiest most natural water I could get for him to have a safe place to swim and get out all of his energy.
Unfortunately, our PB was very persistent on informing me that salt water was not the way to go. It would destroy all of our natural stone and was NO different than a regular chlorine system, and would often be much more difficult since "salt doesn't dissolve" and things build up and can be a disaster. Eventually I caved and went with the Ozone/UV sanitizing system combined with regular chlorine. After a year owning this system, and since finding this page I am realizing that this was basically a huge waste of money. GIANT bummer. This system has also already allowed air into get into our system twice, and needed pieces replaced. I WISH I could just take it all off and get our money back. Oh well. Hind sight is 20/20. MOVING ON.

Our PB also told me he would teach me everything I needed to know to manage my pool myself after install, but he never did. He basically threw a piece of paper with a few terms and definitions on it at me, downloaded the pentair app on my phone and connected my pool, and told me to go to Leslies pool once a month to have my water tested and get chemicals. Needless to say I have been struggling horribly with chlorine lock for months now, and really really getting tired of draining and refilling my pool only to have my CYA levels drop minimal amounts at a time. I seriously want to cry. It takes me an entire day to drain just 18 inches of water out of my pool and then another day to refill it... and since we are on well water that apparently has absurdly high TA levels I am just at a loss with the entire situation.
I am insecure about my water testing abilities, unsure if the results from the pool stores testing is even accurate, and feel like I will NEVER get my levels back down. The pool store is now telling me that my CYA level of 114 is actually just fine and I don't need to worry about it! They also tell me that I absolutely need to start using chlorine tabs again to manage my pool now that it's warmer again.
I have stopped using the tabs and bags of shock since my CYA level reached 160 last swim season, and have since been draining and refilling over and over and over and over, cleaning my filters occasionally, and trying to get it down. I have started using 6% bleach from Aldi to chlorinate to try and hold the algae down while I am working to lower my CYA, but it is starting to feel hopeless. I have been using the pool math app (Which is awesome!!!) but I am basically just having to pour an entire gallon+ of bleach in daily now, and still have algae growing. After draining and refilling literally like 5X my CYA is finally starting to test around 100 with the Pentair rainbow CYA dot test, but I am still insecure even using that.
After reading a bunch on this page I bought the recommended TF 100 test kit, but I am still waiting for it to arrive. The test kit I have been using (DPD, Not the CYA test) got left out in the sun open for a day accidentally a few weeks ago, and I am worried it's not perfectly accurate anymore, but after draining and refilling AGAIN the last two days, my current levels are as follows:
TA: 170
PH: 7.4 or 7.5
FC: 1
TC: 1-2
CC: .5?
CYA: 100

I am devastated that my CYA didn't drop more than 14 points after this last and biggest drain and refill I did the past two days. I brushed the sides occasionally as it drained. It is an enormous pain in the booty to drain my pool as the PB didn't install any kind of overflow or way to refill other than literally throwing the hose in the pool... So we literally have to drag our sump pump out of the garage and prop it up on rocks in the pool with a PVC pipe sticking out of the top of it into the yard proper up on a bunch of chairs. There is a place on the plumbing where I can attach a hose and drain some water that way but it is incredibly slow and takes literally two+ days to drain a foot of water. I feel like I am missing something. Is it always this frustrating and difficult to drain pool water?! Is there a way to install an overflow somehow after the fact?

My questions:
-My TA is really high (170 this morning, if the test is actually accurate) but my PH is only 7.5. I have used acid to drop my PH to 7.0 to try and bring down my TA but it literally BARELY does anything. I have since read that I only need to do this if I am having issues with metal or rapidly rising PH, so I have stopped trying to do this. I am just really frustrated that my well water seems to have a crazy high TA, and I have to keep adding tons of it because I am trying to lower my CYA. I feel like I am chasing my tail!
-Is it worth removing the UV/OZONE sanitizing system? Is that expensive?
-ANY advice on my CYA level situation would be so appreciated. Do I need to clean my filters AGAIN?! I just did a couple weeks ago!
-ANY advice on the draining and refilling would be helpful too... even just words of encouragement or shared similar experiences!
-Do you think my DPD Test kit is ruined and inaccurate after being left outside in the sun for a day? It wasn't the CYA test, just the DPD kit...

I am SO sorry this is such a long wordy post, and I am SO thankful for anybody who takes the time to offer advice or even just words of comfort at this point! Thank you so much for this site and for the pool math app! It is absolutely a game changer!

Hopeful I will get on top of all of this!
Haley

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    571.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 26
My questions:
-My TA is really high (170 this morning, if the test is actually accurate) but my PH is only 7.5. I have used acid to drop my PH to 7.0 to try and bring down my TA but it literally BARELY does anything. I have since read that I only need to do this if I am having issues with metal or rapidly rising PH, so I have stopped trying to do this. I am just really frustrated that my well water seems to have a crazy high TA, and I have to keep adding tons of it because I am trying to lower my CYA. I feel like I am chasing my tail!
-ANY advice on my CYA level situation would be so appreciated. Do I need to clean my filters AGAIN?! I just did a couple weeks ago!
-ANY advice on the draining and refilling would be helpful too... even just words of encouragement or shared similar experiences!
-Do you think my DPD Test kit is ruined and inaccurate after being left outside in the sun for a day? It wasn't the CYA test, just the DPD kit...
-Forget about TA. That is the least of your worries.
-I would. Outdoor pools get all the UV they need. I don't see the point in ozone.
-Not sure I get the connection between your filters and CYA. If you have CYA of 100+ more water will be drained. With a 14k pool I would think a submersible would be quicker than that.
-The DPD solution is susceptible to heat/time. I would order more.

Good morning pool people!

I am so thankful I found this site. I wish it had been sooner before I got myself into this pickle! I am hopeful that I will eventually find my way out of this and get to experience the joys and ease of a properly balanced pool, but I think I need help getting there!

Our D36 River Pools fiberglass pool was finished being installed almost exactly one year ago. I went into the process as researched as I possibly could after reading everything I could find online, which as well all know is a very difficult place to find non bias information on everything. Originally I wanted a salt water system, as our kids both have very sensitive skin, and our son is extremely sensitive to ALL chemicals. I wanted to healthiest most natural water I could get for him to have a safe place to swim and get out all of his energy.
Unfortunately, our PB was very persistent on informing me that salt water was not the way to go. It would destroy all of our natural stone and was NO different than a regular chlorine system, and would often be much more difficult since "salt doesn't dissolve" and things build up and can be a disaster. Eventually I caved and went with the Ozone/UV sanitizing system combined with regular chlorine. After a year owning this system, and since finding this page I am realizing that this was basically a huge waste of money. GIANT bummer. This system has also already allowed air into get into our system twice, and needed pieces replaced. I WISH I could just take it all off and get our money back. Oh well. Hind sight is 20/20. MOVING ON.

Our PB also told me he would teach me everything I needed to know to manage my pool myself after install, but he never did. He basically threw a piece of paper with a few terms and definitions on it at me, downloaded the pentair app on my phone and connected my pool, and told me to go to Leslies pool once a month to have my water tested and get chemicals. Needless to say I have been struggling horribly with chlorine lock for months now, and really really getting tired of draining and refilling my pool only to have my CYA levels drop minimal amounts at a time. I seriously want to cry. It takes me an entire day to drain just 18 inches of water out of my pool and then another day to refill it... and since we are on well water that apparently has absurdly high TA levels I am just at a loss with the entire situation.
I am insecure about my water testing abilities, unsure if the results from the pool stores testing is even accurate, and feel like I will NEVER get my levels back down. The pool store is now telling me that my CYA level of 114 is actually just fine and I don't need to worry about it! They also tell me that I absolutely need to start using chlorine tabs again to manage my pool now that it's warmer again.
I have stopped using the tabs and bags of shock since my CYA level reached 160 last swim season, and have since been draining and refilling over and over and over and over, cleaning my filters occasionally, and trying to get it down. I have started using 6% bleach from Aldi to chlorinate to try and hold the algae down while I am working to lower my CYA, but it is starting to feel hopeless. I have been using the pool math app (Which is awesome!!!) but I am basically just having to pour an entire gallon+ of bleach in daily now, and still have algae growing. After draining and refilling literally like 5X my CYA is finally starting to test around 100 with the Pentair rainbow CYA dot test, but I am still insecure even using that.
After reading a bunch on this page I bought the recommended TF 100 test kit, but I am still waiting for it to arrive. The test kit I have been using (DPD, Not the CYA test) got left out in the sun open for a day accidentally a few weeks ago, and I am worried it's not perfectly accurate anymore, but after draining and refilling AGAIN the last two days, my current levels are as follows:
TA: 170
PH: 7.4 or 7.5
FC: 1
TC: 1-2
CC: .5?
CYA: 100

I am devastated that my CYA didn't drop more than 14 points after this last and biggest drain and refill I did the past two days. I brushed the sides occasionally as it drained. It is an enormous pain in the booty to drain my pool as the PB didn't install any kind of overflow or way to refill other than literally throwing the hose in the pool... So we literally have to drag our sump pump out of the garage and prop it up on rocks in the pool with a PVC pipe sticking out of the top of it into the yard proper up on a bunch of chairs. There is a place on the plumbing where I can attach a hose and drain some water that way but it is incredibly slow and takes literally two+ days to drain a foot of water. I feel like I am missing something. Is it always this frustrating and difficult to drain pool water?! Is there a way to install an overflow somehow after the fact?

My questions:

I am SO sorry this is such a long wordy post, and I am SO thankful for anybody who takes the time to offer advice or even just words of comfort at this point! Thank you so much for this site and for the pool math app! It is absolutely a game changer!

Hopeful I will get on top of all of this!
Haley
I’d recommend just adding 5ppm of liquid chlorine (chlorinating liquid) from Walmart/Home Depot/lowes until your test kit arrives. It’s stronger and cheaper than the stuff you’ve got.

Don’t worry about anything the pool store said as their tests are not reliable. You can use the OTO test you have for chlorine until the better test kit arrives. I know it’s frustrating but you’ll get good advice here and people will walk you through what you need. It’ll be super easy once you understand how things work.

If there are still tablets in your chlorinator, you’ll want to remove those if the CYA is already high.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to TFP! Sorry you are going through this situation with your pool. Many folks found TFP under these circumstances. I sure did, 4 years ago. I haven't left visiting the site since.

First off, great job ordering one of the recommended test kits. I believe I read you downloaded Pool Math app. That only will make everything easier. The articles here on pool care are the best. The mods and helpful advice from pool owners helping other pool owners is tremendous.

Have you seen the following articles ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, FC/CYA Chart and SLAM – Shock Level and Maintain

You'll need to find a source for Liquid Chlorine and Muriatic Acid, Big Box Stores, Walmart and local Mom & Pop pool stores. If, I do mean, If you go to a pool store only buy liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. Nothing else. You've already experienced their not so good pool chemistry advice.

Go ahead and upload a current picture of your pool so the advice you will get, folks can see what you are working with. You got this. You can do it. Oh, use Pool Math and add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to your pool everyday until your TF-100 test kits arrives. Then run a full gamut of test results

Hey HR and Welcome !!!

The only # that matters right now is the CYA. It lowers by an even % with 0 CYA fill water. You will need to drain 50% to reach a CYA of 50. See the article below and which method works best for you. Report back and we will help hatch a plan. Add chlorine daily so we don't have half of a green pool to battle.

The Pentair CYA kit is plenty reliable, but for upper values it gets questionable for 60-100. Although I would believe it to be 100+ currently. let's know for sure how much you need to drain with the TF-100.

Welcome to TFP.

Pull the plug and disconnect the electrical power to your UV and ozone equipment. Leaving it working will mess up your FC levels from your liquid chlorine.

Your priority is to lower your CYA. We have the No Drain Water Exchange Process for situations like yours. The way you are trying to lower your CYA with small drains and refills of the pool consume way more water then the no drain process.

You want to get your CYA down to between 30-50.

Forget about your TA. Your high TA does not matter for you with a fiberglass pool and no SWG.

Just manage your pH using muriatic acid and keep it anywhere in the 7's. pH 7.8 is as good as 7.2.

When you get your TF-100 post a complete set of test results in your PoolMath logs.

Once you get your CYA down to 30-50 and have your TF-100 then you can follow the SLAM Process and clear the algae.

Take it one step at a time and all will be good. Ask any questions here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.