Conflicting results from multiple tests

Jul 15, 2016
Mount Airy, MD
Trying to open the pool.. We had more contamination than I'm used to because of a problem with the winter cover, but I was able to get most of the junk out before adding any chlorine. The water had a slight green tint but I could still clearly see the bottom.
13500 gallon pool. I added 12 or so of liquid pool chlorine (the stronger stuff from the hardware store, not clorox) and have run the pump for 2 days. I have had to backwash several times, which I see as good, but the water isn't clear yet. Probably making progress there, but not clear. I suspect, but do not know that the chlorine I got from the store was from last year, so I do question if it's been sitting long enough to be weak which is why I added so much - I assume it wouldn't be completely useless. All this is background for the real question:

I have a TFTestKits TF-100 kit, which is several years old. It has been awesome and trustworthy... highly recommend! Today when I test the chlorine, I expected it to be high still, but when I mixed the granular chemical, there was not even a hint of pink which would indicate zero chlorine. I know I should have already replaced the test kit chemicals, so I tried my old pool store liquid drop test (Still generally trustworthy brand) and with the first drop of the chlorine test, the water turned kool-aid red. I have read that this indicates an extremely HIGH chlorine content. SO, I am stuck with two aged test kits giving completely opposite results, and I'm questioning which one is more likely to be wrong.
I have ordered a new TF-100 kit, but that'll be several days. I think I'll also head to walmart or the local pool store to buy some test strips or a new liquid drop test. I guess I can also dilute the pool water to some known concentration (we have well water, so no chlorine) so I guess I can get the real reading, but I'm really surprised that the test kits would potentially fail in opposite ways and wondering if there's a common way these fail and how long the chemicals really last in these test kits..

TIA and hoping your pool is more ready than mine for this important weekend!!
-Steve

All the test kits we suggest are warranted fresh for one year. They may often go longer but we don't promote that. Replace your chemistry each year for valid results.

I would wait for the new TF-100 rather than waste money on a "stop gap" kit. The TF-100 should be in your hands on Wednesday and you will not have wasted money on inconclusive results

Actually, I found that it was very over-chlorinated.. I did get a simple liquid tester locally and got the same red results, so I diluted a cup of water with well water and managed to finally get an on-scale reading. I really dont know HOW overchlorinated it is, but it's clear now. Hopefully the TFP kit will be here tomorrow to do a real test.

Fair enough.. I generally only use liquid chlorine though, so generally unless I'm misunderstanding, basically all my chlorine is "free" chlorine.. I'll definitely do the full test, but waiting for the new kit.
The chart lists the stabilizer ratio necessary to maintain the right amount of free chlorine. If you have 0ppm of CYA in the water then 4ppm FC (free chlorine) would be plenty. But if you have 50ppm of CYA then FC needs to be around 7ppm. So if you don’t know what the CYA level is, then there no way to know how much chlorine you need or how much is too much. It’s very unlikely you added too much. Check out the link posted above (sometimes they’re hard to see as a link). Feel free to ask questions as they come up.

Also, you say you added “12 or so” of liquid chlorine. Is that gallons, ounces or another unit of measure? That would be helpful to know.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.