concrete under pavers

wet_labrador

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
new jersey
i put a small patio around my pool. to build it i put down about 4" of RCA, tamped it down with a machine, then a layer of wet concrete to create a flat base, then laid the pavers.
unfortunately, the area i projected i'd make the patio is slightly larger than the finished area. so most of the pavers end 6" before the concrete/RCA base.
can i rip up the concrete outside of the pavers without effecting the structure of the base the pavers sit on? wouldn't wanna hurt that base and then cause the pavers to have that flimsy feel.

thanks for the replies. good to know that a 6" overlap is traditional. i considered covering the concrete with some kind of decorative stone/gravel. never considered something like proflex, but it makes sense!

just though it was odd because i never recall seeing other people's pools with things concealing the overlap.

If the layer of wet concrete that extends 6" is too thick you won't be able to put a spike through the proflex. If thats the case pros put a little mortar between the concrete base and the paver to lock them in. Kind of like in this image;
stepstone_03.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.