Belle Chasse, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Pool is in SE Louisiana where concrete settling is constant… Pool installed 2016. Just noticed that the mastic is separating and the concrete has risen about 1/2” by the skimmer with a new minor crack extending out of the joint line. I’ve noticed the skimmer lid is much tighter to put on/off. As of now no leaks and skimmer assembly is unaffected inside. My plan is to redo the mastic with deck o seal around entire pool as it’s about that time anyways and just dremel of a bit of plastic from the skimmer lid. It’s been abnormally dry this summer (a drought in New Orleans if you believe it). My question is do you think this presents long term concerns in the concrete? I’m planning to just patch up with new mastic and monitor the area for further degradation. This area has always had a slight incline from coping to concrete and I’m unsure if the mastic just gave out or if the concrete rose more significantly. Any thoughts are appreciated. I’m waiting for a pool installer to give me their opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpeg
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 22
Most common reason is that the mastic gave out first and allowed water to get below the decking, the soil then expanded and is lifting the deck along with putting pressure on the plastic skimmer if it is not incased in gunite.
Repairing the mastic and monitoring for more movement seems to be the best option at this time. The deck will more than likely not return to its previous elevation and long term may have more cracks in the future.
When replacing the mastic I suggest not using sand to obtain the proper depth between the coping and deck but use backer rod . I find that sand can compact and you loose the flexibility between the two.

Most common reason is that the mastic gave out first and allowed water to get below the decking, the soil then expanded and is lifting the deck along with putting pressure on the plastic skimmer if it is not incased in gunite.
Repairing the mastic and monitoring for more movement seems to be the best option at this time. The deck will more than likely not return to its previous elevation and long term may have more cracks in the future.
When replacing the mastic I suggest not using sand to obtain the proper depth between the coping and deck but use backer rod . I find that sand can compact and you loose the flexibility between the two.
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. Backer rod is the plan. There was a bit of a gap in the mastic when we moved in and the joint in the concrete has definitely cracked and is a likely source of water seepage in that area as well. Planning to concrete caulk the joint as well with deckoseal and clean up what I can. I do think the self leveling aspect of deckoseal will be a pain in that area but hoping to make it look good with a slow steady approach with as many lines of mastic as required. Should be a fun weekend!

Any advice on just filling in some spots? 2 seasons ago we had the coping and tile totally replaced so the mastic isn't that old and can't imagine it needs replacing already. But I've noticed some gaps where I'm worried about water getting in there during the winter and want to take care of them before closing the pool.

Can I just get some deck-o-seal and shoot it in the cracks/holes? I seem to remember picking a specific color (maybe of the sand that was spread over the wet mastic before it cured?), so not sure if there will be color mismatch issues to worry about, too.

Attachments

• IMG_7125.jpg
    IMG_7125.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7124.jpg
    IMG_7124.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7123.jpg
    IMG_7123.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes you can reapply the mastic over/around the old, it’s going to look like a patch and the color will be close but not match exactly due to the original mastic being sun bleached.
Most common reason for mastic to pull away from the deck/coping is the surface not being properly cleaned prior to application, any oils/contaminations will show up quickly first in the product failing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.