Compu Pool CPSC Series - How to re-callibrate?

I guess it comes down to what you mean by function. I think there is a consensus that SWCG and test strips and other types test have a rather large error of probability in the order of a couple hundred PPM plus or minus.
There is no dedicated sensor to measure water temp on the compupool systems.
A SWCG generates chlorine gas that's it. That's what it's designed to do. Nothing more. I understand you'd expect a correct readout but in the big picture what does it really mean. If the salt level is too high or too low it will give you a separate indication. They don't specify an actual level for the ADD Salt indicator, and if it's OVER Salt it will continue to produce chlorine with the increased salt content. There are actually 2 different readouts the Control Panel LED indicators and the out put display that scrolls messages. I'm more concerned with the Control Panel LED indicators Water Fault/ADD SALT/OVER SALT. Than temp display which isn't an actual measured value or PPM value (both which are calculated through software but which have to make some assumptions that may or may not be true to a users situation).

My cell is a couple months old. I have no visible scale formation. The unit does alternate polarity and I have seen the scale come off when the polarity changes. I also realize my CYA is higher than the recommendation levels, I am slowly working on bringing it down.

I guess I may have lower standards. I'm not concerned with what it's showing as a temp and salt value, as long as its producing chlorine gas in my specified pump run time to meet my pools chlorine usage demand. That is the main concern for my usage of a SWCG.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm lazy. I called got the directions to re-calibrate but it required me to open the system and I like the adage "if it isn't broke don't fix it", it's producing, so....

Poolsean said:
bobodaclown said:
If its producing what's the issue?

Bobo...If someone buys a system (expensive or cheap), they should expect it to function with some degree of accuracy. Wouldn't you agree?

I believe that systems like these, takes a guestimate of what the salt level is, based on the cell condition. I don't think there is a specific salinity sensor, is there?

If so, what shape is your cell in? Check and clean for any visible scale formation.
Try increasing the flow through the cell so as to avoid any possibility of bubbles, or air gaps getting stuck on the blade surface.
Can you check the amps and volts on the unit? I'm sure there's an acceptable range for each measurement.

I'm more curious as to if there's a definate way to calibrate the salt and temp readings, or does one have to just settle with "close" and learn to live with it.

My experience with this unit (going on close to a year now I think) is that the salinity level is all over the map, depending on temperature and the amount of scaling on the cell. There is no real flow sensor or salinity sensor. That being said, it always puts out chlorine, and I just live with the high/low salt lights now and then. I certainly wouldn't spend the extra few hundred bucks on a higher end unit just to get functional lights.

bobodaclown said:
If its producing what's the issue?

Bobo, was this in response to my post?

If so, yes it is producing, but is it producing properly? Is it overworking the life of the cell because the computer is not properly adjusted? Don't you want a brand new unit to work as advertised?

Hi Gyus i have one problem with one salt chlorinator ASTRAL MODEL V3 25S spain .Brand new and is have errow (comms fault )i can not reset he me i read the manual nothing i dont find and is continue is stay in monitor somebody to now this chlorinator how we reset and what is this problem to solvent please Advise

bobodaclown said:
KJ,

I understand what you're saying. Sorry for my rant.

No problemo.

When I finally get back home again I plan on thoroughly doing some tests. I just bought the magnetic stirrer, new unexpired test strips, the taylor drop salt test kit, and new thermometer. Plan to get a pretty good baseline (with actual salt and temp readings) and then call compu pool to see what to do next. Will report what I learn. Sounds like a few folks are having the same issue.

KJ

Edit: P.S. I ordered some of the stuff from Dave on a Sunday....received it Tuesday!

So far I'm happy with my system. It's maintaining the chlorine levels I need. My pump run time is 7-8 hours at 60%. My pool is open to leaves and such. It's very low maintenance. All and all for the price I paid I've very satisfied. Don't have anything to compare it to, except having to add bleach manually. It was getting old quick.

This thread might be long dead but I finally was able to call Compupool today and it was a quick, friendly, helpful, informational call. Told them the temp was outta wack, the salt measurement was outta wack but it was producing chlorine just right. They said it was a sensor in the cell and that they would be sending me a new one to replace the one I have. The person I talked with was super helpful. How you run your SWG is an art but I did learn the longer and lower is better for the life of the cell.

kjdiver said:
This thread might be long dead but I finally was able to call Compupool today and it was a quick, friendly, helpful, informational call. Told them the temp was outta wack, the salt measurement was outta wack but it was producing chlorine just right. They said it was a sensor in the cell and that they would be sending me a new one to replace the one I have. The person I talked with was super helpful. How you run your SWG is an art but I did learn the longer and lower is better for the life of the cell.

I did that also.
They sent me a new LCD/Computer module, and a new Cell.
I have no installed them yet, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to send my old ones back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: got the new cell and control board at the end of September. Installed the items pretty quickly and everything worked fine....for about a week. The numbers are out of whack again. Called Compu pool again and said they will check with the company HQ in Australia to figure out what to do next. I obviously wished this worked as expected but fortunately Compu pool customer service agents are always friendly and willing to help. Hope this continues!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.